Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foxcatcher (2015)
Yay, STARZ free preview weekend. Also a chance to see two films I worked on airing at the same time, one of which I watched. Ah, the wretchedness.

But Foxcatcher. Much more enjoyable than Whiplash, which is not to say it was an enjoyable film. But it was a good film with some great acting and in this one The Hulk is the brother to Magic Mike XXX.

Foxcatcher tells the two story of two world champion wrestling brothers, Mark and David Schultz in the 1980's and the Foxcatcher wrestling club opened by John 'Golden Eagle' Dupont. The younger brother played by Channing is struggling as only amateur athletes can to get by. He's also burdened by the fact that he feels like he lives in the shadow of his older brother despite the fact they both won Olympic gold medals in Los Angeles. In walks creepy nosed Dupont who wants to open a wrestling club so he can prove he doesn't live in the shadow of Mama Dupont. He wants both brothers but only young Channing initially accepts.

It all spirals out of control from there. Lots of different family themes going on here, brothers and brothers, fathers and sons, mothers and sons. It is all very complex and ugly. The only redeeming character is the older brother played by Mark. But even he starts to get corrupted by the fabulous wealth of the Dupont family.

In the end it's a tragedy. Nobody wins. Again it has that horror film vibe. You know something terrible is going to happen, you aren't sure just what. All three actors were amazing in their roles, especially Ruffalo. Channing played furrowed brow so well I was wondering if his eyebrows can ever rise again normally.

Good stuff.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit