Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Enemy: Live at Metropolis Studio
Public Enemy: Live at Metropolis Studio

Another documentary not listed on IMDB. Weird.

Interviews with Chuck D, Flavor Flav (who is a thoughtful, normal human being) and others intersperced with an intimate performance of their biggest hits.

Oddly enough I got into Public Enemy at a Dead show. I was tripping hard and the intermission DJ played "Welcome to the Terrordome". It was the most intense thing I had ever heard and vowed to explore them fully later. I listened to "Fear of a Black Planet" and basically experienced the same sense of discovery as listening to "Dark Side of the Moon". The layers and layers of sonic arrangement are overpowering.

Let me be clear, I hate rap music (for the most part), but Public Enemy are something else. They were a group of freakin' geniuses that mix poetry, energy, technology and vision that were so far ahead of their time they broke the music industry. I saw it happen. Rap artists that tried to propagate a political/social message were suppressed. Rap artists that glorified gangsta life, hos and bling were promoted. Weird times.

Anyway, watching these guys doing "Don't Believe the Hype", "911 is a Joke" and "Fight the Power" in the era of '50 cent' and 'lil' Wayne' is very sobering.
[Image: magpie13.gif]