Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Redbell
Our beloved cat is dying in our yard right now. Stacy had noticed she was losing weight recently but she had been fine for the most part. She started breathing funny last night and went into respiratory distress this afternoon. Stacy took her to emergency and after a $600+ examination they found plueral effusion which is caused by a few possible maladies - tumors, heart condition, a specific virus, all terminal. Stacy brought Redbell home and we discussed options with her cousin who is a trusted vet. We decided it was best to put her to sleep. She was gasping with her mouth open, drooling and her tongue was hanging out, clearly suffering. We let her out into the yard one last time where she tried to get comfortable. I distracted the Pom so he wouldn't bother her. Stacy went to the bathroom and in that moment, she disappeared. We think she is behind the shed, hopefully finding her resting place.

We are all in shock. We've heard that cats can go suddenly like this, but have never experienced it firsthand.

We had to Skype Tara who is in week 5 of her 7 week Spanish immersion to let her know that the cat she grew up with will not be here upon her return.

Tomorrow I will search for her in daylight.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Yikes. Good luck, my friend. Pet death is never easy.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Sorry to hear this. Very distressing.
I'm nobody's pony.
Redbell was in good spirits on Wednesday night. She even came up to me and gave me a friendly sniff, something she seldom did.

Stacy found Redbell. Our neighbors, who just lost a cat recently to a car, are helping, loaning us a shovel.

I got up early to beat the commute this morning. Stacy was still asleep. We both had a really rough night. I have some things to attend to at work today, but I'm hoping to get home early.
I buried Redbell in my mom's yard, in a nice sunny spot on Tara's recommendation. She joins many of my companions from childhood there, along with a dog my mom inherited when one of her friends passed many years ago. I left work early - they were very understanding. It was brutally sunny in Sunnyvale and the dirt was rock solid only a few inches deep requiring repeated soakings with the hose. I let Redbell enjoy the sun for one last moment, then added a rose and a fare thee well card that Stacy picked up at Levi's, and then committed her back to the earth.

We are all shaken by the suddenness of her passing. Poor Tara is doing her best to forge on alone in Mexico. It was one of my fears for her on this trip that one of our pets might pass. Being present with her as she said 'I love you' through her tears to Redbell over Skype as she took her last breaths will be a moment of heartbreak that I will never forget
We keep feeling her. Stacy left her purse on the table, and when silhouetted in the window, it looked like Redbell as she used to love to sit on the table and look out that window. I had to lay it flat. This morning there was some thunder over the ocean. It bothered Jingles and my next thought was to check on Redbell in case it was bothering her too. We're not sure if Jingles is aware of Redbell's passing. She used to bully him so he's probably relieved. He understands 'all done' because Stacy says that after walks or playing ball. She told him 'all done kitty' and he looked puzzled, perhaps with some understanding.

I foresee that when Tara comes home, we'll have to process this all again. Tara already said she might not want to spend too much time at home as there is so much here to remind her. She has faced pet death before with Alice, our rabbit, and Ginger, Stacy's old cat (but she was way too young to get it with Ginger). She'll be home in two weeks and our family, what's left of it, will be reunited.

Stacy says she's done with cats now. Too much pain when they leave. Strangely, I kind of want another cat, even though I'm allergic to them and have had to negotiate living with that for 11 years now with Redbell, and more with Ginger.

Redbell was born behind our shed in Fremont. We caught the whole litter and found homes for all of them. Redbell stayed. She was born feral and always kept a little feral corner in her heart.
Sorry for your loss and shock. I am sure spirit will be there with you.