Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night at the Museum 3: Secret of the Tomb
I thought the first two films were fun mindless FX outings so added this to my Netflix queue last year. It finally came up so I popped it in and turned off my brain for stupid 'family humor'. Unfortunately I forgot that Robin Williams was a main character. I am still reeling from his suicide, and seeing him playing a role as a man who 'regular' people see as an entertaining exhibit, but only a few know as a real (albeit wax) person was too much for my over-analyzing mind.

[SPOILER ALERT]

At the end of the film he voluntarily gives up his life to become a perpetual entertainment exhibit. His last line is "Smile, my boy! It's sunrise"

No one could know his future, but that delivery, and his grinning face...I cried (in a manly, DOOM way of course).

Last week I re-watched "The Fisher King" so maybe it was just overreaction from a guy that wore rainbow suspenders in high school to be like Mork from Ork, but man, I miss that guy.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
I watched the episode of Mork & Mindy where Mork encounters Robin Williams (Robin in a dual role). It was wonderfully recursive. Mork gets mistaken for Robin and is chased all around Denver by rabid fans. At the end, Mork ruminates about celebrity in his report to his Ork leader, and it is totally eerie now, given Robin's fate. Looking at a lot of Robin's body of work in retrospect, it's like there are suicide notes stitched throughout them but none of us could see it at the time.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
The line that always stuck with me was from the "Reality… What a Concept" album (I think):

"The universe is entropy..."

--tg