Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Killer Elite (1975)
Peckinpah's ninja flick set in S.F. You know I luv this oldie. I haven't seen it in years and it has aged really well. Plus now I know SF much better and can really place almost all of the locations.

The fashion, the style, the music, the tech, the attitude, the drugs (greenies oh man) - it's such a loving postcard of SF in the 70s. It's also great to see action with no CGI. The opening explosion fireball is massive... and REAL. The car chases through SF, even driving across the Golden Gate, all real. No green screens. It's got this Mission Impossible style with the opening credits, even down to the lighting of a fuse, but then goes its own way. Caan's operation in the beginning is terrifying because the med tech is so primitive.

Plus it ends with a swordfight. A ninja swordfight.

PPFY, as our only remaining SF residing DOOM Bro, you MUST revisit this film. It's really fun now.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I have and I agree with you. It lives on my DVR. I described it a couple years ago as a love letter to Frisco, with ninjas. Pure, unadulterated awesome.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Couldn't help but think what peckinpah would've done with today's slo mo tech
Shadow boxing the apocalypse