Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starry Starry Night (2011)
This film really moved me. I was in tears by the end. It is so beautifully told. A very heartfelt, sweet, tender film.

And it's not my usual fair. No sword fights, no Bollywood. It is a Chinese film, but it's more like a French art film and y'all know how much I disdain those. Granted, it's very hallucinogenic.

It's a coming of age story about a 13-year-old girl clinging to innocence as the real world collapses in on her. She walks seamlessly in and out of dream sequences, which are all gorgeously rendered with charming special effects. The thematic elements woven through this film - the art, the jigsaw puzzles, the forest - even the locations, were all perfect. The kids, especially Xu Jiao, were just so darling.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe having a teenage daughter has me reflecting on that loss of innocence a lot nowadays. But I loved this film. I had a terrible commute this morning. HWY17 is narrowed to one lane southbound at Laurel curve, which of course caused an accident. I spent twice as long to get over the hill and was deconstructing this film in my mind the whole way. It was making me all misty-eyed.

I was going to post the trailer here, but the trailer is so horrible, so not indicative of what this film is, plus it's full of spoilers that I'm not posting it.

Saw this on Hulu+
Shadow boxing the apocalypse