Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alabama Shakes @ Greek 4/11/15
Alabama Shakes is my fav new band. They won me over at BottleRock in 2013. They sold out the Greek quickly for this show. It was a fine season opener.

Neko Case opened. They were okay. Two gals fronting an indie folk rock sound I guess. I didn't really tune into them so much.

Dm was assigned to run a team because there was a lack of experienced vols there that could run teams. Plus there was this nooB that several senior vols had issues with because he doesn't play well with others (some think he has Aspergers - Dm suspects he's just young and in the closet about his sexual preference and conflicted about that). So the team was this dude, a nooB Cal student EMT, and a young gal who was been circling psych because she's a party chick (which has roused some suspicion with the show supervisor too). It was like Dm was given two troublesome cases and had to hold their leashes, but that's okay because that's what psych does on many levels all the time. Dm had been doing Rm for over half a decade before any member of his response team had been born. Confusedhock:

There was another response team, but they were lame nooBs. Dm ran all four calls, all of which were patrons having syncopal episodes, nothing serious, but the extrications were challenging. One was a grandmother taking some teens to the show at the front of the line, and of course, the doors opened right when transport started so getting through the crowd was tough. Another was a guy who needed to be helped from the middle of the bleachers down the steep stone staircase, and of course, that was right when Alabama Shakes hit the stage. Another was with his hysterical wife, and one of DM's nooB crew said "I can't feel a pulse!" which freaked the wife out horribly. But all in all, every rescue was a success and it was amusing to run a team while yanking the leashes of some teetering nooBs.

Alabama Shakes reminds me of how Jerry once described affection from Deadheads - like licorice. Either you luv it or you don't really care. Most of the staff there shared Dm's adoration of the band. They really appeal to women because Whitney is so not the stereotypic skinny white chick. She's the polar opposite of Taylor Swift physically. Whitney's got pipes, huge operatic pipes that can stick those soulful blues and gospel-tinged crescendos, plus she can play a rockin' guitar. She's a force of nature and my fav new band at the moment.

Epilogue - After the long drive home, I sat on my veranda at around 1:30AM, calming down for sleep in the pleasant sea air. A car pulled up and a woman, clad in a white gown that was almost bridal, stepped out holding two candles. She walked right past me on the veranda (I had the lights off to admire the stars) and to the house in the back of the lot. It was very surreal, but I recognized her as one of the friends of the tenant back there. I saw her this morning and complimented her attire. She said it was Greek Easter, and she went to a traditional midnight service in which you are supposed to bring home the lit candles. I just thought it was the Cruz effect.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I saw the Alabama Shakes when they were on SNL the first time, a couple of years ago. Whitney was awesome. I've since seen them on Austin City Limits and on SNL this last season. They're solid. I was considering this show. I like a few Neko Case songs (saw her on ACL as well and enjoyed that). I decided that I didn't want to make the trek. Some day I'll see them, though...

--tg
we could have commuted. i went up with another Cruz RMer, but we certainly could have had a 3rd rider.
So, uh. This Whitney you speak of.

Are you referring to Brittany?
I'm nobody's pony.
Damn, you're right, it's Brittany. I knew that when I first fawned over them....

Sorry, Doolittle.
I've forgotten so much
since I've been in here.
So much...

--tg
thanks again for the copy edit. ;-)