Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whiplash
Meh. I was happy when the Farmer's Insurance guy won just because I predicted he would based on the buzz. But this film is way too predictable. The Farmer's guy basically does the D.I. from Full Metal Jacket on jazz musicians, which is mildly entertaining just because some of the insult streams are amusing, just like a Sue Sylvester rant on Glee, but it barely holds up for a film like this. Speaking of Glee, the gal who played Marley is the luv interest - she was the only addition to the second class of Glee that had any spark and she's good here so I imagine she has potential for stardom in her future - then again, that second Glee class was a disaster so maybe she's cursed. There's some great drumming and the soundtrack is jazzy good. But the story is plodding and if you want ruthless teachers, well, nothing matches what masters do to their disciples in Kung Fu flicks. I was sorely disappointed.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
We had 'stro, so no others need apply.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Plus I've had plenty of other masters since...too many in fact. So the ol' DI thing just doesn't work for me. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
What DM said. Very predictable. But the student was more of a sociopath than I expected.

For a movie about drumming, it was very one note. And it did have the trailer for Foxcatcher (which I have yet to see) and that would probably make a fine double feature.

All that being said, the fine 'FU moment' applied by the DI teacher at Carnegie hall was really special.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
What DM said. Why are we so jaded?. I found this movie to be the Hollywood cliche of 'try harder'. I didn't like any of the characters and just wanted it to be over.

I will never win the Oscar pool.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
We. Are. Farmers. bum badum bum bum.