Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Residents
I can't believe we don't have a Residents thread here.

They are coming to the Rio, which is about 4 blocks from my bungalow, just a short stroll (or stumble). They are performing Shadowland, part of a trilogy, although to be honest, I haven't kept up with them - March 12. I'll probably buy a pair of tickets this afternoon. Stacy might take my second one. She's never seen the Residents and is debating on whether or not she want to. It would probably give Tara nightmares, so she's not invited. If Stacy opts out, I'll have an extra. I'll let you know.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.riotheatre.com/event.html#r031215">http://www.riotheatre.com/event.html#r031215</a><!-- m -->
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
The Residents are still together?

My other connection to them is that when I lived in Berkeley, my slum lord was named Reza and people would rework Residents posters into Rezadents posters.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Greg Wrote:The Residents are still together?
i think they have new masks now. i will have to research this a little more, to prepare.
Not sure why I got two exactly as it's GA. Maybe it's some faint hope that I can talk my wife into going. Then again, she might just look at them, then look at me, and ask again why ever did she marry me.

I'm having a hard enough time getting her to go to U2. She keeps saying "I'm not really into them". Alas...
I might be crazy enough to join you if you can't find a date.

I've driven to LA and back a few times just for a concert so this would be a cakewalk.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
ED - if you are serious, I've now got an extra. It's yours if you want it. My treat, ol' buddy. It would be grand to see the Residents again with you.
Didn't the three of us see them for that American Music show they did, possibly at the Orpheum?

They opened with some Western stuff; I remember "Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie" and they had the oversized cowboy hats and glasses mounted lights at the side of their heads with stockings on. They later wore the masks; it was after one of the eyes was stolen and they made the big skull.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I do remember seeing the Residents with you and ED on several occasions and in various formations. I remember the cowboy hats. But I don't remember the venues. I have most of my ticket stubs, so I should just review that.
OK - I've got Thursday, March 12 reserved. I can probably get there around 5pm if you want to grab dinner. The new masks look pretty cool.
There is a slim chance that I'll have to pick up T from an art class in Watsonville, which would make me too late for dinner. Hopefully she'll get a carpool ride. I'll let you know as soon as I know.
Unfortunately, I've lost several ticket stubs - they went through the wash, or just never made it into my album - plus some have faded beyond readability. I wish I kept better records.

I have three Residents ticket stubs.
1/10/87 @ Warfield. It's worthy of note that 19 days after this show, I attended my first Grateful Dead concert ever at BGC. That was the Chinese New Year show, Year of the Rabbit, and ED was with me along with another founding member of the Dormouse Society.

9/21/89 & 9/24/89: Residents perform CUBE E @ Cowell Theater.

There may have been more. I just don't remember.

I tried to listen to Eskimo on my commute over HWY17 this morning. Worst commute soundtrack ever. EVER.
At a MacWorld Expo party (for Interscope?), Primus and The Residents played a double bill at Bimbo's. I went with a co-worked who was really into Primus. I thin they were promo-ing their Tales from the Punchbowl interactive video. The Primus set was really short as I recall. Maybe 30-45min. I recall seeing Todd Rundgren in the audience, sitting at one of the cocktail tables with a blond who had had way too much work done. Also, IIRC, I think I ran into ED outside. The Residents came out for their first song and my co-worker wanted to bail. I was a little nervous (and maybe drunk) to find my way back to the hotel alone, so we left together. I remember we walked from there, through Chinatown, all the way to SOMA to the shitty little hotel they booked for us. I wished I'd seen more. I would have really like to have seen Snakefinger at some point. Night of Desirable Objects is one of my favorites...

[youtube]j79AxSaRN0Y[/youtube]

--tg
tg & KB, you guys should pick up some tix and join ED & I. I don't think they are sold out yet and the GA tix aren't expensive. They are only doing two performances of Shadowlands, here at the Rio and in ED's old stompin grounds, Austin TX.

Quote: Special "Shadowlands" CD at release event.
02/03/15 08:52

[Image: shadowstories6.jpg]

SHADOW STORIES

Attendees of the performance of “Shadowland” in Santa Cruz who purchase the MVD CD, SHADOWLAND, at the show will find a second CD in the package.

The MVD CD is not the entire performance. Six “Shadow Stories” from the performance have been reworked by Bobuck into a new 25 minute “contraption.” The edition is limited to about 75-80 hand made copies and will only be available at the Santa Cruz show.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.residents.com/newsfeed/files/b47f31c8c373da4081fa3b784b44a2e3-54.html#unique-entry-id-54">http://www.residents.com/newsfeed/files ... ntry-id-54</a><!-- m -->

Been playing a lot of Residents in the car to get my ear re-accustomed. I'm amazed how many songs find the rattles and rips in my 7-year-old car speakers. T calls it 'demon clown music'.
Quote:"Shadowland" performed live - Santa Cruz CA + CD release March 12
17/02/15 12:00
The Residents will perform their show, Shadowland, live. It will be even better than the fantastic album.

[Image: shadowland0040riopsd.jpg]

[Image: 031215.jpg]

Thursday, March 12, 2015
THE RESIDENTS
PRESENT SHADOWLAND
Concluding the celebration of their 40th anniversary, The Residents are pleased to announce Shadowland, Part 3 of the Randy, Chuck & Bob Trilogy. Aspiring to examine life in reverse, the trilogy began in 2010 with The Talking Light, a study of ghosts and death; reflecting on love and sex, the group continued with their Wonder of Weird tour in 2013; and finally with Shadowland, Randy, Chuck & Bob will focus on the beginning of life - birth. As with Parts 1 & 2 of the trilogy, Part 3 will feature music from The Residents' extensive catalog interspersed with short videos about birth, rebirth, reincarnation and NDEs (near death experiences). A 20-minute career retrospective video will be shown before the performance.
Show Time: 8 pm, Doors : 7 pm
Tickets: $21-$32 Advance
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.residents.com/newsfeed/files/6fe80af68413318bcf459e29bec2a69f-48.html#unique-entry-id-48">http://www.residents.com/newsfeed/files ... ntry-id-48</a><!-- m -->
Many thanks to DM for the gift of disturbing dissonance.

After carefully arranging a schedule of when and where to meet, I arrived an hour early and forced DM to drop what he was doing and meet me at the local pub.

We had a pint and caught up.

Not only did DM live a couple blocks from a very cool brewery, the show itself was in a revamped movie theater within walking distance. DM really scored on house location.

The Residents were in fine form, although the new costumes were a little 'off'. The guitarist and percussionist wore skull masks with dreads. We both were reminded of the old Ernie Kovacs 'gorilla' band sketch. The vocalist wore a semi-fat suit (at least I think it was a suit) and an old-man half-mask (STFU, hyphens are free). The almost naked body combined with a low-hanging thong and glittery coat-and-tails was pretty creepy.

The show itself was two hours of new and old Residents material with a video monologue projected on a weather balloon after every three or four numbers.

The audience were mostly hard-core fans responding to each song with vigorous applause and a standing ovation at the end.

For me the highlights were "Constantinople", "Harry the Head" and the opener "Rabbit Habit".

YouTube has several uploads of the European tour if you want to check it out.

Thanks again DM! (btw I did not get pulled over with the contraband you gave me on the way home).