Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palm Springs
Well this year is our 20th wedding anniversary and we are going to Palm Springs. We found this kind of hilarious place on vrbo called the Atomic Lair (http://www.vrbo.com/611041)

I love all that mid-century stuff (perhaps because my artwork is close to it?) so I am looking forward to it. If any of you have been there, tell me about good stuff to do or see.
the hands that guide me are invisible
never realized how huge the LGBT community was down there.

you two will luv it.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Had a great time, stayed in a funky VRBO rental, the Atomic Lair: http://www.vrbo.com/611041.

N. Palm Canyon Drive has some cool design/art stores, and we saw some nice work and I got some inspiration. There are some good restaurants and bars and lots of great mid-century architecture (starting with the Visitor's Center in a cool old gas station). For a good drink hit the Bootlegger Tiki (http://www.bootleggertiki.com/), a cozy old-school tiki bar.

The Palm Springs Art Museum is small but has a very nice collection. Plus a great sunken sculpture garden with great trees and plants where they have a 200 million year old fossil of ripples in sand (about five feet tall) and it looks great with the sculpture. There are a couple of Chihuly spheres among barrel cactus and it's a great combo (even though I am pretty tired of most of his work I was quite taken by it). The Native American gallery has some nice pottery and basketry and textiles, but the stunning thing there to me was work by Dan Namigha, a contemporary Hopi artist. They also have a design museum downtown, but the show they had up didn't sound that good to me. I was sorry missed their recent Bauhaus show.

We did not get out to Joshua Tree or Sunnylands, it was more of a lounging vacation. Unfortunately the dog got sick at the end with digestive trouble and wound up dehydrated and spent a night in the animal hospital with an IV. Except for that we had a great time. And she is recovered now.
wait...you have a dog? what breed?
Schnoodle! Her name is Hazel and she is almost 12. I can see that she is starting to slow down a bit and seems a little stiff in the morning - much like myself I guess. I will post a link to a picture when I get home and can access some photos; I don't have a good one on my phone.
So you drove across the desert with a Schnoodle? How did that go?
No problem - she likes riding in the car and is no problem. We stop at rest stops on Hwy 5 and she is okay. She's made the trip to San Diego almost every year of her life.

FYI, she is a small dog - about 12.5 lbs. We are not talking Giant Schnauzer size. And we took a car with air-conditioning, not a covered wagon.
...as the rest of the DOOM dogs (and my DOOM Pom) would hate that trip, I imagine.

It trips me out that we were both there at almost the same time. We were in Palm Springs only for dinner. That was Wednesday night, April Fools, no less. We stayed at Desert Hot Springs Spa on Wed and Thur.
We got there on the 25th and came home on the 30th
it would have been so weird if we had run into each other there. just imagine....

we really need to catch up face-to-face someday soon. a lunch sometime?
That sounds great! Classes are over in about a month and my time will free up some.
my summer is lining up to be another insane rollercoaster ride, but that won't affect my work week (it can't - got bills to pay). let me know when things free up for you and we'll hook it up.
I think my email address for you is out of date - in my contacts it's an earthlink address. I also have one for this domain - that's not right is it? FYI mine is still the same at Yahoo, and I am in the directory at sjsu.edu (under the "staff" link).
i'm a gmailer now. <!-- e --><a href="mailto:geneching@gmail.com">geneching@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->. or you can reach me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:gene@kungfumagazine.com">gene@kungfumagazine.com</a><!-- e -->.