Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are NRG @ BGC 12/12/14
I posted a lengthy rant about this over the weekend but the net ate it.

I'm a sad panda.

But at least I can dodge laser beams.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
What? My first question is who is NRG?

By not knowing that do I skew incredibly old or do I just remain befuddled as always?
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Several DJs. DJ Snake, Deorro, Salva, Bare, Whyel. Does that help? Didn't think so.

Greg Wrote:What? My first question is who is NRG?

By not knowing that do I skew incredibly old or do I just remain befuddled as always?
Both actually.
I got up early for a stormy drive up the coast. I luv that drive and it was particularly dramatic with intense crashing storm waves. I met one of our photographers at the private SF home of one of my Kung Fu uncles who has an astounding collection of antique Chinese weapons. Some pieces are tens of thousands of bucks. Some are thousands of years old. He has 300+ pieces in his collection, along with many other Chinese object d'arte and some Dali lithos to boot. It was great fun, given what a weapons freak I am. You seldom get to hold a museum quality piece in your hands (his stuff has been showcased in numerous museums). I learned a lot, especially about bronze age swords.

I made to it Chinatown for lunch and the rain stopped, so C-town was uncharacteristically clean - like it had been power-washed. I combed the stores for xmas gifts but found nothing but a lot of knock-off Frozen stuff and tons of glass pipes which I'm sure were of dubious quality like anything in C-town.

Then the banquet was delightful. I was tasked to bring a bundle of 3-section staffs, and in my triad boss black suit and thick sunglasses carrying a stack of black staffs with jingling chains, people got out of my way - even tourists. It was great to have CF & LCF there looking quite dapper. I saw a lot of old friends, including the Hop Gar clan, a crazy bunch of fighters from NC. Their master used to own a C-town club and had Santana play there back in the day. He was also the message deliverer for the historic Bruce Lee C-town fight. We've always got along well and his group kept sending over cordials of Remy Martin and calling me out for shots of Jameson. By the end of the banquet, DM reared his ugly head and realized there was an EDM going on at BGC that RM was covering until 1 am, and he could surely crash it in the triad suit with a quick text to the supervisor. So he kidnapped his younger KF bro accomplice, who was looking rather Transporter-esque in his own dapper suit, with the ruse of taking him to BART via the scenic route. He's always a good one for the DM-mmagic carpet ride. Plus it's always fun to be at RM in a suit. One of DM's greatest formal RM episodes happened at the Grateful Dead at Frost Amphitheater after ED's glorious wedding. If DM had known the power of going to the Dead in full tux, he would have done that at every show.

NRG was mediocre EDM at best. Lots of scantily-clad young'ens, bopping to the bass beat. You really need a goodly dose of X to take out your forebrain and eradicate any memory that you are listening to the same musical idea over and over again for mediocre EDM to work. Nevertheless, it was a spectacle of lasers and gratuitous semi-nudity, so not completely replete of entertainment value, and it certainly washed away all the horrid Cantopop at the banquet (Cantopop is DM's kryptonite). Unfortunately, TRNPRTR got the fear and had to bail, thinking BART was going to end soon (he had easily another half hour).

Dm cut out as the show was ending, and had another magical drive home down the coast with the windows open and the reggae blaring.