Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wild Geese
So, I'm starting a new venture or being sucked into one. Maybe it's my affinity for Qi Vampires?

It's a website that was looking for some video production and I said I could do that while I'm busy doing my other work. Sadly, my pay would be based on if they could get advertising to bring in some coin.

Then they just wanted someone to poke around FB and Twitter in an effort to boost membership. But they would give me a few bob to do that, so I said okay. Then it turned into hey could you ask this person to get us some articles about the civil war. Hey, could you set up a group for this person. etc etc

It got a little better this week when they said they wanted to do some live broadcasts on Google Hangouts in a couple of weeks and could I manage to put those together? I wasn't familiar with the tech but I could certainly learn it. It basically sounds like they want to do a weekly TV show, which I am up for. Plus, I had a couple of weeks, right?

I came back from Florida to the email asking me to put one together for Friday as in tomorrow. Okay. I think I might be able to do something.

We had a rehearsal on Tuesday as I scrambled to assemble some knowledge. It came out horribly because the Hangout Tech is very primitive and you have to do a lot of work arounds to get it to work. Or you pay lots of money for the software to make it better, which we aren't going to do. Yet.

I pull together some graphics for a promo and they like it. I search the inter webs for FAQ's to help me.

One thing I notice straight off is that we need a dedicated google+ page tied to a youtube page to make this work. Basically the broadcast goes out over youtube. Well, they have google+ pages and youtube pages but they are all personal pages masquerading as the business pages. I am asked to set this up and I should do it plenty quick since the broadcast is tomorrow.

Fine. I do it. I figure it out. It's kind of a hack but it works. I add graphics. I upload the promo. I set up the Hangout to air tomorrow. I send off emails to get the other folks to help manage the page and to know of it's existence.

I also go into our shared teamwork scheduler to show this is my task and that I'm taking it on.

All done.

I get a video call from Gerry, the boss. He tells me he has just gone and set up a google+ page linked to a youtube channel for the website.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
I set up a project to start on Monday. Worked for two weeks with the author to get a series of articles on Myths and Legends. Found out yesterday, the Wild Geese already has a series of articles for that week and neglected to tell me about it. I complained, mildly, to the boss about setting deadlines and them not being met.

This would be the partial response:

Gerry Wrote:We serve the tools, the tools don't serve us. If you need something from us in a specific time frame, make that case to us, what's the benefit? The tool is designed to keep us on track, so we can better create benefits.

I wanted to respond that yes, I do work for a tool.
We had a meeting last Friday about the how company was going to be restructured. Basically, Ger no longer wanted to pay me and this other person. He wants to put forward proposals and then if the proposals get funded, we get paid. But based on the projections he showed us, he hasn't been able to get the funding for anything. So, see ya.