Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ip Man
this is part two of coming soon from Donnie Yen
http://brotherhoodofdoom.com/phpBB3/view...f=9&t=1411

part one was painted skin, which was way too chinese for america, imo. not really a doom flick. it got shown be default.
http://brotherhoodofdoom.com/phpBB3/view...f=9&t=1411

Ip Man is a good actioner - lots of fun fights choreographed by Sammo. Unlike in PS, Donnie is at the top of his game. For a more extensive review, check out the place to go for more extensive kung fu flick reviews.
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/sh...stcount=96
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Most of the people I know that have seen this feel it's a strong sequel, but not quite as good as the first. I think I concur with that, but feel I should see the first one again, just to be sure. It the very least, I'd say it's on par with the original. This is a sequel in the truest sense, picking up right where the first film left off. There's some enjoyable action for sure. You just can't beat Sammo and Donnie fights. That's always satisfying. Like True Legend, it has Caucasian baddies and ends in a showcase political ring match, but instead of wushu versus wrasslin, it's wing chun versus boxing. China is still trying to get over being occupied by the UK. Overall, it's pretty entertaining and I loved the ending, which totally set up Ip Man 3.

Donnie is talking about abandoning the role, which I think would be sad. It reminds me of Jet leaving Wong Fei Hung (OUATIC), but that ended on a bizarre note (and restarted on even a more bizarre note). What with The Grand Master & Herman Yau's The Legend is Born: Ip Man, Ip Man is in for a convoluted franchise.

The film made me realize that we're due for a DOOM gathering where I catch y'all up on some of the most recent Chollywood flicks. There's some really interesting stuff, especially if you like to see Caucasian villains get beat up. I'll be hard pressed whether to show this one or the original Ip Man tho. They are both very amusing, IMO, both DOOM worthy - and there's more, but I'd have to find some with subtitles. Hopefully later this summer - after June maybe.
Ip Man opens at the 4 Star this weekend.
http://www.lntsf.com/4-star_theatre
Seen it on the AppleTV. Isn't technology great?

I liked it. Lot's of good funny fights. Glad the wife came around in the end. She was starting to annoy me with her whole "Take your Kung Fu out of the house attitude" The kid could have used a good slap upside the head, too.

I like the Northern fighter who was doing his Toshiro Mifune impersonation. He should have his own film. And if fo Shan was such a kick ass martial arts town, how come Mifune kicked all of their asses?

It was a fun way to spend New Year's day. My biggest problem was always referring to the film as eye-pea man as opposed to eep man which I figured out at the end when they were cheering him.

"I will fight ten"

Maybe a little too much Chinese propoganda...
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Just rewatched this for a piece I'm working on. Actually I already finished it - a short write-up for the next issue of Den - but my editor wanted an expanded piece for web. 

It was a good rewatch. A great one. It's such a classic now. The fight choreo is so sharp. Donnie's wushu spin on Wing Chun kicks ass. I liked the whole feel of the film, the elaborateness of rich Shanghai followed by the squalor of its occupation. 

The wife plays an important role, one that every practitioner grapples with if married. And it's played out as a romantic fantasy - oh she complains but she'll come around when I save face for Fo Shan. It's every martial artists' dream to have a beautiful spouse who takes care of your kid while you're out fighting for justice, and who cleans up your wounds, and most importantly, who gives you the green light to kill everyone - to unleash the beast. 

The northerner Greg liked was Louis Fan. And he does have his own movie. Several. His most famous which every D00Mer should recognize is Ricky O.