Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Wick (2014) by David Leitch and Chad Stahelski
John Wick is a delightful romantic comedy starring Keanu Reeves and Bridget Regan. As an added bonus, it has one of the cutest little dogs you’ll ever see. It's family entertainment start to end, so bring one and all.

Shortly after retiring from his job as an encyclopedia salesman, John (Keanu) and his wife Addy decide to celebrate by going on vacation. Enroute to the Bahamas, they stop at a 5-star hotel in Albuquerque which just happens to be hosting the annual International Leaf Blower Convention.

During an impromptu leaf-blower musical performance in the lobby (a five-person wind ensemble), John’s wife keels over dead. John is mortified. Even though the doctor says it is Ebola, John chooses to blame the leaf blowers. What follows is a violent 90-minute rampage where he employs the hard-sell tactics that served him so well with encyclopedias to kill every person wielding a leaf-blower or even uttering the name.

John’s weapon of choice is a gingko leaf-blower (Keanu’s subtle nod to the Asian part of his ancestry). He tackles the leaf blowers floor by floor, starting on the bottom floor, which is populated by cherry leaf blowers, and advancing ever upwards through elm leaf blowers, oak leaf blowers, and so forth, in clear tribute to Bruce Lee’s Game of Death (not surprisingly, his gingko leaf blower is yellow with black stripes). Eventually he reaches the top floor, where the Guy with the Catalpa Leaf Blower lurks.

But I won’t give that confrontation away, and hopefully I haven’t given away too much already.

Highly recommended. Enjoy.
I'm nobody's pony.
No Poster?
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
[Image: 7879_JohnWick201431-01.jpg]

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/arti...ticle=1183
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
No leaf blower?
What is up w/CF's fascination with cute dogs anyway? He's one of the few DOOMbros who doesn't have a cute dog. Dog envy, is it?
Well, well, I got a review in before CF on our mutual vid binge. I tasked the CF's to go to a screener of this last year because I couldn't make it and there was some good buzz in the stunt community about who was behind this. I thought - well, if CF says it's a delightful rom com, what better pre-Valentine flick could there be? Well, I was very disappointed to discover there was no leaf blower.

There was some excellent gun fu. In fact, the morsel of a plot is just to set up a lot of gun fu. Absurd gun fu, but entertaining. I really liked the notion of an assassin hotel/club - it was very Dragon Inn. Keanu, who I do not like, delivers. I shouldn't say I don't like him. I liked him in Matrix. I liked him in Bill & Ted. I even liked him in Little Buddha. However I will never forgive him for Man of Tai Chi and 47 Ronin. That being said, this is his best film since A Scanner Darkly.

I might squeeze in another flick tonight. If only I had some syrup.... Greg?
The leash gathers tightly around my neck. Ah, the dream of old times sneaking off to the movies with DM.

Quote:Hey Mom, if you are going to help Dad up the stairs, you need to follow him and catch him if he stumbles.

There is no way I can catch him.
Ummmm? Aren't you the one trying to convince us you can take care of him?

What I wouldn't give for a leaf blower.
Sorry to hear you're going through such a struggle now Greg. Knowing some of the dysfunctionality of your family, I'm amazed at your restraint. Just don't be pouring the milk on you-know-who. DOOM hates having to bail out it's brothers (but then again, that's what we're here for, among other things).

One more thing about Wick. I was delighted to see that the stuntpeople got such high prominent placement in the end credits. That really sums up what this film was about. It's a showcase for stunts.
The things that drift through my mind. And I wasn't even using the Forum for that Call Back.

tQ is out of town. Let the bad films begin.

Much like DM, I am no fan of Keanu. But I did like him in Bill and Ted and I did like him in the first Matrix. After that, I am out.

But this film got good notices. I didn't like the dog death, even though they built the entire film around it. Lots of cliches, but really good action. I liked the mixture of gun play and fighting. And I guess some one got the memo because they all reload their guns and switch to other guns. Kudos. Too bad it won't last.

It has some really good action set pieces, especially when he takes on every one in the club.

I guess what you need for a Keanu film is for him not to say anything. Granted, he can't pull it off like Clint, but it's a start.

Lots of knife fights.
Quality violence and enough plot to hold it together. What's not to like?
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Last night I tasked LCF to review the screener for JW2 and by chance I stumbled on JW1 on tv. I was only going to watch a little of it and go to bed as it's been a long week and more and more, I need my beauty sleep. Some nacho ninjette who still wants to get my pants after so many years kept sexting me picnic of boudoir treasures, but I became so enthralled with JW that I stayed up past midnight to finish it. What a lovely piece ornate ultravi. I have made my peace with Keanu.
I wish I had a sexy ninjette texting me boudoir photos all evening.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(02-09-2017, 08:30 AM)Greg Wrote: I wish I had a sexy  ninjette texting me boudoir photos all evening.

I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
John Wick 2

I took my father to see this. As I was getting him the hearing aid from the help desk in the lobby, someone overheard me and said "You won't need that. It's just gunshots" I restrained myself from punching the interloper in his elitist face.

But yes. It's mostly gunshots. But it is all really well choreographed gunshots. And fight scenes and chase scenes.

Once you stop thinking "Well, that would have killed him", the film becomes quite enjoyable. I do want to go back and see if the plot is as paper thin in John Wick 1 as it is in  John Wick 2. Again, you know what you are getting going in. The ensemble cast around Keanu is strong, which only makes Keanu's acting look even worse. There are some funny bits when you take the break from running and shooting.

And the end sets up JW3. Since JW2 picks up where JW1 ends, that is no surprise. Eventually, it will just be a 5 hour movie. 

And Common is in it.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Yeah, I know - late to the party on this one. Been hoping to see it for free somewhere but finally dropped the iTunes rental fee.

What a tasty chunk of ultravi. Excellent action sequences. Brilliant fight choreography. Best gun Fu I've seen in years. I luv the Wick world, as absurd as it is, but the notion of this classy hitman underground with a sort of chivalric code just works so well for my suspension of belief. Keanu may have had one too many lines, but I'll forgive him for the stunning stuntwork. Luv the style of it too.

Many mad props to lcf, who totally nailed the review for kfm (I liked it before seeing the film and luved it after, which is the mark of a spot on review). I would've drawn a stronger tie to Enter the Dragon for its hall of mirrors on steroids, but then I'll always draw a tie to any Bruce film - to a fault for sure. Lcf - u retain your status as a top kfm film reviewer. Many thanks!

I'm all in for JW3.