Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Avengers
Dude, it is all about the DVR. Taking control of your TV (as it tries to take control of you).

CF, that would be an awesome article to write (and think of the video clips that you could include!).
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I would enjoy reading an article on the 'Open Hand Chop'. I remember schoolyard 'Karate' fights with emphatic shouts of 'Hiiiiiiiiiii-Ya'. This means I was exposed to it in the early 60's. My earliest memory of seeing it is either 'Star Trek' or 'Hong-Kong Phooey' (maybe even a 'Hai-Karate' cologne commercial.

Make it happen CF.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Let me ponder that a little. NPR just published a fascinating article on How The 'Kung Fu Fighting' Melody Came To Represent Asia (see <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2014/08/28/338622840/how-the-kung-fu-fighting-melody-came-to-represent-asia">http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/201 ... esent-asia</a><!-- m -->). The Karate Chop has great potential, but it would take a lot of research, a lot of old video watching...hmmmmmmm
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
This is why I watch the History Channel! Find the first 'Karate Chop' that changed the way the West saw fighting! Searching my memory keeps coming up with Emma Peel and 'The Avengers'.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
...I wound up crashing at my mom's house last night after picking her up, taking her to the Cruz and back again (for her birthday). I was totally looking forward to COZIng up to some Emma Peel action. But no. All I got was Fantasy Island. Mad
COZI don't care! Your laws don't apply to COZI!

Weekdays at 1pm, Sunday nights at 7pm. Bad news: Emma is done and it's Lind Thorson now. You are outta luck, Amigo!
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
[Image: giphy.gif]
I just watched that episode last night. COZI loves my DVR! Tremble before my Techno-Prowess!
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH DR. YETI?!?!?!?!?
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
[Image: tumblr_n8dfq9XvEO1s2hz1mo1_400.gif]
[youtube]ve9N9oaXU18[/youtube]
A clip complete with neck karate chop.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
I recently saw a Thorson episode called Spl-it, or something like that. Never has the concept of "screen presence" been better illustrated. Diana Rigg is just incredibly mentally engaging on screen. There's a tremendous presence there. As for Thorson, wow. This episode almost worked because they tied her up and gagged her for most of it. Actually, no. It was a very bad episode all around. I kept thinking, I should give Thorson more of a chance to grow on me. But there's just this big bucket of emptiness where her face should be, and even though she's got the requisite feminine machinery, it's like a V8 engine on a minus-459 degrees F morning. I actually feel a great deal of sympathy for her. To try to fill Diana Rigg's knee-high boots and occasional corset is just downright daunting. I doubt I'll check out another episode with her in it.
I'm nobody's pony.
Ok, Linda Thorson is NOT the Goddess Diana, but I just watched a twitchy John Cleese get killed by clowns, so I am feeling more kindly disposed towards the later series.
A "Laugh-In" reference from Steed. Shakes his head at the TV and says, sotto voce, "sock it to me!" and shakes his head in amusement.