Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Fast Food
I really like English fast food and wonder why it's not more popular here.

Some examples:

Ploughman's Sandwich (my favorite): Cold cheese (usually cheddar), lettuce, tomato (optinal), chutney (usually plum) on a fresh roll. Light, refreshing and delicious.

Cheese and Onion Savory: Shredded Cheddar, chopped onion, soft round bun. Want it toasted? Ask for a Toastie!

Pasty: Toasted pastry filled with veggies, cheese and/or meats.

Crepes: Hot filled pastry served in paper cone for an on-the-go treat! Sweet or savory fillings available

Our host family bought a vegetarian Haggis for me while they had the real thing. Dee Dee said mine was delicious ( she wouldn't eat the real one).

I was also introduced to Picallili (a thick mustard/vegetable spread) and Chililli (a thick mustard/chilli pepper spread). Good stuff!

The packaged sandwich thing is the norm. The 'Deli' isn't really a thing. Even the sandwich shops like 'Gregs' were basically hosting refrigerator shelves with these packaged meals. However these pre-made sandwiches tasted fresh and I did not suffer afterwards.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
El Dingo Wrote:Our host family bought a vegetarian Haggis for me while they had the real thing. Dee Dee said mine was delicious ( she wouldn't eat the real one).
I can hear PPPFY and HK going into conniptions at the very concept - both in a faux Scottish accent.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
All the dripping saliva, ya know....
I'm nobody's pony.
Och! Ye canna spake agin the Haggis!
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
errr....i mean 'tol ye'
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Actually a veggie haggis doesn't offend me these days. Haggis is a vehicle and you can do with it what you will.

Having had many haggis' over the years (both "pan-haggis" and "traditional") I can say that I only had one that I regretted. Also, Tabasco does wonders, as does mixing it with scrambled eggs. I'll be Sriracha sauce would be even better.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.