Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everything Old is New Again
Has anyone else noticed a regression in cultural consumerism? I'm not talking about the reintroduction of the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger cars.

I bought a record player and find myself listening to my old records more. I really like the tactile experience of flipping the record over, or playing side one again. It forces me to reflect on the 4 - 5 songs I just heard and whether I want o hear them again, or hear the rest of an album.

I started using a shaving cream (in a tube) from Trader Joe's versus a canned foam or gel. My razor is still a multi blade (harrys.com) but apparently there's a retro movement to single blade safety razors or straight-edge and lather.

I went to the SF Garden Show today and there was a booth selling straw/wicker brooms because they were sturdier and more effective than modern plastic brooms. They were selling like non-frozen hotcakes.

Interesting stuff.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
in another decade, it'll cycle back again...
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I think it started with the slow food/organic food thing and is now permeating the rest of our society. Also: A little nostalgia for "simpler" times that probably never were.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
The same thing is happening with headphones as we cycle from earbuds back to cans
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Then there's TV, where some people are dropping cable and putting big antennas on their rooftops.

Oh, and some people are tearing up their lawns and planting what was meant to grow there all along (though in this case we're talking about returning to the very old).
I'm nobody's pony.