Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Korean food
One third of my coworkers are Korean. I'm totally digging Korean cinema now. But understand Korea? Not even close yet.

Quote:We eat tasty, steaming Korean poo cakes
Casey Baseel

[Image: ku-1.png?w=580&h=773]

It’s been a little more than a year since we reported on ttongsul, or Korean feces wine. And while many of our readers enjoyed sampling the beverage vicariously through the five victims brave young ladies we recruited for the taste test, others took us to task for not having our regular staff knock back a glass of dookie-liqueur.

In an attempt at penance, we traveled to Korea to snack on poo-shaped cakes.

Like a bad case of diarrhea, the flow of BM-related stories from Korea doesn’t show any signs of slowing down. For those looking for pottie-related fun but lacking the time to visit the country’s toilet-theme park, a quick trip to Seoul’s Insadong neighborhood will provide you with the opportunity to munch on poo-shaped snacks.

[Image: ku-2.png?w=580&h=773]

The stand we visited is located in a shopping center called Ssamzie-gil, appropriate as the mall’s name is only pronounceable by Westerners when straining themselves on the toilet. We found our poo cake vendor right inside the entrance, and while there wasn’t a line of people waiting to buy the uniquely-shaped sweets, there was nevertheless a steady stream of customers. As a matter of fact, the young man running the stand was so busy that he didn’t even have enough time to handle all of the multiple cakes he was cooking at once, as we noticed a few that had been on the grill too long and become hard and dry.

Thankfully, the snacks don’t contain any actual feces. They’re almost exactly the same as taiyaki, the fish-shaped sweet bean cakes sold in Japan and elsewhere in Asia. They even smell the same, with a soft, sweet aroma that was all the more enticing wafting through Seoul’s chilly winter air.

But whereas taiyaki look like cute little fishies, the poo cakes look like, well, poo. Specifically illustrated poo, with the distinctive coil shape in which the substance is always depicted in Asian comic books.

▼ If it makes you feel better, you could imagine they’re shaped like dollops of whipped cream.

[Image: ku-4.png?w=580&h=773]

With our purchase paid for, we broke off a steaming piece and placed it between our lips. The cakes are filled with lumpy sweet bean paste, and while its shape made us feel a little weird eating it, it tasted just as good as any other similar snack we’d eaten.

It turned out Ssamzie-gil wasn’t done showering us with feces-inspired fun yet, though, as among the mall’s multiple mascots you’ll find the character Dongchimee. Dongchimee seems to hail from the kimokawaii or “so gross it’s supposed to be cute” school of design that sometimes rears its head in Japan and Korea, as the character has either a poo-shaped hairstyle or a straight up turd on top of his (her? its?) head, along with a perpetually runny nose.

▼ There also seems to be some sort of exposed nipple thing going on, along with cheeks that look like someone just slapped the hell out of poor Dongchimee.

[Image: ku-5.png?w=580&h=877]

Despite Dongchimee’s less than stunning looks, the character is popular enough that it’s featured, along with the other mascots of Ssamzie-gil, at a children’s theme park in Heiri Art Village, located in the suburbs of Seoul. While there, you can even pick up stuffed versions of the character. The plush dolls are available in three sizes, and removing a flap over the character’s posterior revels the whimsical surprise of a half-formed log ready to be played with before Dongchimee decides to pinch it off. Of course.

▼ Bringing us to this story’s figurative and literal end.

[Image: ku-6.png?w=580&h=1024]
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
wow.

To paraphrase South Park: "Dude, what is up with Korean people?"
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Korean people to Southpark & Mr. Hankey: "Hey kettle, this is pot...you're black!"

--tg
i shud just watch southpark... :roll:
jaws. food. it's sorta related....

Quote:Korean Human Jaw Plastic Surgery Sculpture a Thing of Unusual Wonder

Posted by Danny Crichton on Jan 22, 2014 in the topics Korea, News, Plastic Surgery

[Image: 20140122_HumanJaws.jpg]

There isn't too much to say about this unique sculpture sitting out here in South Korea. Other than the human jaws, I guess.
JAWS – Coming to a Theater Near You! Photo taken from 시사주간.

One plastic surgery clinic in Gangnam, in order to demonstrate its extensive patient list, received more than its share of marketing publicity after commissioning this scupture made from human jaws. Gangnam is a popular area for plastic surgery, and advertisements are nearly overwhelming when walking through its busy streets. Clinics are always looking to get one jawbone, er, leg up on the competition.

Police here in Seoul are investingating the clinic to determine if the clinic failed to properly dispose of any of the remains, a violation of the medical health laws.

Ironically, the fact that they have removed so many jaws doesn't really demonstrate their capability of building beautiful faces. After all, the fact that vampires drink blood doesn't make you an expert serologist, nor does getting a Communications degree from Stanford mean you can give post-game football interviews in any sort of fluent way.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dannycrichton.com/blog/2014/01/22/korean-human-jaw-plastic-surgery-sculpture-a-thing-of-unusual-wonder/?smid=fb-share">http://www.dannycrichton.com/blog/2014/ ... d=fb-share</a><!-- m -->
Gangnam Style! Represent.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Post this here because it came up on a 'whipped cream' search.

Quote:[b]It's now illegal for anyone under 21 to buy canned whipped cream in New York
[/b]

by WKRC Staff
Monday, August 29th 2022
[Image: userway-transparent.svg]

[Image: aa3ae2a1-0398-4e09-8153-cd09d996cca2-lar...DCREAM.png]
FILE — It's now illegal for anyone under 21 to buy canned whipped cream in New York. (SBG)
[Image: facebook.svg][Image: twitter.svg][email=?subject=It%27s%20now%20illegal%20for%20anyone%20under%2021%20to%20buy%20canned%20whipped%20cream%20in%20New%20York&body=Here%20is%20a%20kmph.com%20article%20that%20you%20might%20like%20%0A%0Ahttps://kmph.com/news/offbeat/its-now-illegal-for-anyone-under-21-to-buy-canned-whipped-cream-in-new-york-whippits-nitrous-oxide-drug-use-teen-teens-substance-abuse-in-youth][Image: email.svg][/email]

NEW YORK (WKRC) — A recently passed state law prohibits anyone under 21 from buying canned whipped cream in New York.
While the legislation was instated in October, it has only just started to take effect in stores, likely due to an issue with law tracking.
It is meant to keep teenagers from using pressurized cans, known as 'whippits, ' to inhale nitrous oxide.
"Inhalants are invisible, volatile substances found in common household products that produce chemical vapors that are inhaled to induce psychoactive or mind-altering effects," a Drug Enforcement Administration factsheet reads.

Quote:Nitrous oxide is a legal chemical for legitimate professional use, but when used improperly, it can be extremely lethal,” said New York State Sen. Joseph Addabbo, D-Queens, who sponsored the initial bill. “Sadly, young people buy and inhale this gas to get ‘high’ because they mistakenly believe it is a ‘safe’ substance. This law will eliminate easy access to this dangerous substance for our youth.”

[Image: 7d4a5ae1-f97c-456b-b9b2-29df6637933c-med...1475881865]FILE — A waffle specialty: banana churro con caramel, made with cinnamon sugar, bananas, whipped cream, salted caramel. (WJAR)

Addabbo says the issue was first brought to the state's attention after complaints arose regarding empty cans lining the streets.
The DEA says approximately 1 in 5 young people have used inhalants, like whippits, by the time they reach eighth grade, and that abusing the substance can cause "damage to the parts of the brain that control thinking, moving, vision, and hearing."
Kent Sopris, president of the New York Association of Convenience Stores, says he only became aware of the law around June, and immediately started alerting members that they could begin enforcing it.
"I think that there is some sort of reporting mechanism that just didn't go the way it was supposed to," he said. "We had been tracking the bill last year, and when I looked in the bill tracking file, there is just no indication that it was signed."

Quote:We eat tasty, steaming Korean poo cakes

▼ If it makes you feel better, you could imagine they’re shaped like dollops of whipped cream.
I always loved taking whipped cream straight from the can. Where are those days nows?
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

No worries bro

I doubt they’d card you. I doubt they’d card any of us at this point. It’s been over a decade since I was carded.
I think the only time I was carded was when I went down to 7-11 on my 21st birthday from Scapino's house. Of course, I haven't had to buy a lot of alcohol.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Check out my 2015 post

(07-19-2015, 11:05 AM)Drunk Monk Wrote: I got it at the local CVS to honor the anniversary of my Dad's passing.  I was carded - 30 years after I came of age, I was carded.  That stuck out in my mind and I attribute it to wearing a hat that covers my receding hairline.  I've been wearing hats more ever since.

Now my beard and 'stache have a lot of white in it, so unless I shave or dye (and I'm not planning to do either) I doubt I'll be carded again.