Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoe on other foot
The ball was on its way up, not down when it hit her. Mom and I were in one cart, my stepdad and their friend/neighbor Shirley in another. Mom and I thought they had already hit and were in front of us on the cart path behind the green, but in fact they hadn't finished their second shot and were in a gully behind us. The friend/neighbor was using a 7-iron to get 130 yards to the green; unfortunately, Mom's left temple (just slightly above the temple) got in between the ball and the green. The smacking sound was so loud, I thought it hit the roof of the cart, and didn't realize it was her head until the blood started dripping all over her jacket.

Ambulance response time was about 10 minutes - they were a whole 'nother nightmare. I got to the hospital before they did. They showed up in an ambulance with a busted heater and the interior of the ambulance was over 90 degrees. Mom was wearing layers to play golf because it was only 50 degrees and windy outside, so by the time they finally got to the hospital, her t-shirt was literally soaked in sweat. She says it wasn't the head injury that made her pass out and then start puking, it was the ambulance ride. (When we were getting her dressed to take her home later, I could have wrung out the T-shirt -- it was that wet.)

Mom said her favorite part was when the E.R. doctor was trying to explain what a concussion was and was using Troy Aikman as an example (and actually, I think with the story he was telling, he probably really meant Steve Young, but whatever...), and then he started to explain who Troy Aikman was and what a quarterback was, and I pretty much bit his head off, saying my mom knew who Troy Aikman was and more about football than most people and would he please get to the point.

Anyway, Mom was totally normal all day yesterday and today, I took her in for a follow-up visit with her regular doctor today and she seems totally fine. Thank G-d we apparently have very hard, sturdy skulls.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
So...could you arrange to play some golf with G-Man's mom?
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Probably don't need to go that far. Mother dear had a bit of the old skin cancer on her nose. She's been sporting a nice black scab where they burned it off. But did they do a biopsy? Nope . . . .
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
10 minutes is a good response time. Vomiting is a bad sign in head injuries, but if she's been cleared by the hospital, it was probably just from the initial blow or the heat as you say. I've worked a lot of head injuries from mosh pits and fights. A shot to the temple with something like a golf ball could turn out really bad. The initial first days after a head shot are critical. Once that's clear and you know that the patient isn't bleeding out in the skull, you're pretty much in the clear. I wish I had one of our Rock Med head sheets - it's a flyer we give to patients after they suffer a head shot - but I'm sure the hospital gave you info on that. I'm supposed to work a show on Friday, and if I see one, I'll pick it up for you. It's probably way after the fact now, though.

What horrible experience.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
She seemed totally back to her normal self pretty much the next day, and by the time I left on Friday morning, you never would have known anything happened were it not for the stitches, a little colorful bruising around her eye and all the jokes about what a great job my stepfather did in getting all the blood out of all the clothes we assumed were ruined. Seriously - anyone here decides to kill someone, I'd suggest hiring my stepfather to do the cleanup. He's amazing!
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Why is the Queen's stepfather (named Gene, btw) so good at getting blood out of clothes. Is that really a skill you advertise? It only leads to more questions. For instance, how often and why do you have to get blood out of clothes . . .
Gene "Little Wolf" Keitel, by any chance? Harvey's little brother?
You people talk about your injuries. TQ has the decency to take pictures. I, of course, convert them to video and put them up on YouTube. After all, what are SO's for?

[Image: c_spine.jpg]
I've heard of sharing nekkid pix of your g/f (mostly from scapino) but this is ridiculous Greg. You need help. Lots of help. It may be past the point where ECT will even do any good.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Especially when the nice doctor folks give you a program that animates them!!!!

The Spine
Where's the broken part? I've got pictures of my back like this (not animated, sadly) and even the untrained eye can detect some seriously wrong goings on. Her discs all look like they're in good shape, but since you can't single frame through a you tube file, it's hard to tell if she's got a bulge or something.

Ordinary bad back, or something more? What does Dr. Greg say?
MRI was yesterday, orthopedic eval is on Thursday morning -- I'm assuming they'll tell me what (they think) the source of the problem is then. Right now we're still at the stage of calling it unspecified lumbar pain. As alternating ice, heat, Sombra, and lots and lots and lots of ibruprofen aren't really working for more than a few hours, I called my doc and she said get thee to an MRI. Confusedmt073
I've got spine pictures. What more do you want?

Actually, TQ's pictures actually came with a nifty viewer which generated the animations. It also allowed you to step through each section from three different angles. It also was supposed to be able to build up a 3-d image of the spine. Unfortunately, the Queen has taken the disc back. something about letting the doctor see them, too. Whatever.
Haggis Killer Wrote:Ordinary bad back, or something more? What does Dr. Greg say?

Got the official diagnosis: Bulging disc L5-S1. Physical therapy twice a week for the rest of the month. Don't sit for longer than 15 minutes without a break, and always sit with a lumbar support, a.k.a. a rolled up towel.
Why is it that every spine problem can be solved with a rolled up towel?