Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muse 01/28/13 Oracle Arena
I'm notoriously late to appreciate 'Hip' bands. I 'discovered' The Flaming Lips 10 years after their album debut, same with Ween and Daft Punk. Muse was no exception. I always associated the name 'Muse' with a wimpy 'Lilith' girls band. I never realized they were an anthemic, near neo-revolutionary metal outfit somewhere between Iron Maiden and Pink Floyd.

The stage was partially encircled by 60+ 70" x 24" video screens that separated and combined to display images of the band or vignettes of stock tickers and newsreels. A bank of monitors above the stage raised, lowered and moved to play videos or show the band as they played crunching guitar riffs. At one point they lowered to form a pyramid around the drummer as he was portrayed "Kill Bill" style fighting off bowler-hatted silohuetes while keeping rhythm to "Uprising".

Here's someone's phone video of uprising so you get the idea:

[youtube]xFlUfCbAacM[/youtube]

Add a hundred lasers, pattern-spots, color-spots, smoke cannons and strobes and you have the basics of a Muse show.

One of the few times I walked away from a $55 ticket thinking I got quite the bargain.

The opening band was 'Band of Skulls' and they bored me. Just an FYI for fact checking later.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
FYI when posting a youtube link you just need the code after 'v=' for it to work. If you paste the whole link, you get nothing.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
T is into Muse, so I was planning to take her as my +1, but it was on a school night, a Monday no less, which would be too much for her teenage sleep patterns, so I bailed.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
muse @ shoreline 9/15/17

Hey! Shoreline has free wifi!
Set break. 30 sec to mars was a singalong band. I liked the walk on water song, but the rest was meh.

It's a clean crowd. Young 20s-30s. Well mannered although I just heard there was fight in the women's room
We're listening to it even now.  The sound carries pretty good to our place.
I'm nobody's pony.
Ah Muse.
What a power trio. Thunderous. Has this sold out crowd eating out of their hands. 
Lots of pounding segue jams and wailing lead guitars. Luv it.

ED, it's an oddly warm night at shoreline - no wind so the sound is solid. But it's crowded - hard to get a decent view on the lawn. The crowd is maintaining.
Well that was fun. Not too many calls. I just floated and then took over table service, which is where I am now. Huge line for mercy still, stretching across the concourse. Gonna be here a while. 

The stage was a wall of vertical video panels with and inset portion center stage.
Dammit.  

I was planning to work tonight's show at Oracle.  But no.  I gotta be a caretaker.  sux.

Dodgy