Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm more broken than you
So, I guess I'm not going to die. Immediately.

I did my blood tests. I saw my doctor. Her opinion was that I was in good shape and should stop wasting her time.

The day of the appointment I aggravated my back and could barely stand. The Queen had to tie my shoelaces for my boots for the dog walk since I was afraid to bend over and experience that lovely white hot pain in my back.

I told this to my doctor, too. She commiserated and said she had to spend two days in bed to recover. Um? 
But what about me? 
What about you?
I'm in pain and your the doctor.
And?

My doctor was doing Jedi mind tricks on me left and right. Basically, she said if the pain continues to grow worse and worse than we can do something. Until then, suck it up, buttercup.

I think I was freaked out that my blood sugars have been higher than they have been for a long time and my hypochondria kicked in.

In summary, I'll live.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(01-14-2018, 11:24 AM)Greg Wrote: In summary, I'll live.

If that was my husky-voiced GP, I’d’ve countered her Kaiser Jedi mind trix with an ‘Oh yeah? I’ll show you!’ 

Wait... maybe not.  Blush

Good to hear there’s no impending doom for DOOM. Without you, who would deal with the shoe selling bots?  

Our lives are just chronic pain, misery and dim memories of past glories... but at least there’s whiskey.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
A good, if temporary, summary.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Annual check up today. yay?

Now I’m on 4 daily pills.

And I got the erection question for the first time.

Waiting for my eye exam. Kaiser has free WiFi but no longer has waiting room mags because they spread infection.

What a drag it is getting old.
Do they still have the lap-dancers at least?

I always look forward to them in the waiting room.

Although of late they've started requiring them to wear a smile.
I'm nobody's pony.
(04-17-2018, 11:15 AM)cranefly Wrote: Do they still have the lap-dancers at least?

WTH? What health care provider do you have? Clearly I have the wrong one.

Still waitin...

New glasses. yay

Is there anyone left in DOOM who doesn’t wear glasses?
My glasses have become insufficient, so I need to go back to the eye doctor. And I can't paint without them, which for some reason annoys me more than the fact that I can't read without them.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Reading glasses are a must, and I may need to up the magnification real soon.
My distant vision remains good.  I could get a prescription that slightly improves distance, but it's hardly necessary -- yet.
I'm nobody's pony.
(04-17-2018, 09:33 PM)cranefly Wrote: Reading glasses are a must, and I may need to up the magnification real soon.
My distant vision remains good.  I could get a prescription that slightly improves distance, but it's hardly necessary -- yet.

I’ve got three different sets of glasses now. One for reading close up, one for computer and generally anything 3-5 feet away, and distance glasses for being able to read text on the TV screen. I don’t think I need the distance glasses for driving; but we’ll see what the DMV says about that when I renew my license...
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Yesterday was Sifu Kwong Wing Lam's burial.  As part of the services beforehand, there was a lion dance.  This was a far different kind of dance than I've ever seen, with mourning lions -- four of them, on their knees, making their way slowly up the long aisle, pausing repeatedly for mourning bows left, right and center, stopping at the altar for more bows, moving around the altar for bows before Sifu, then carefully maneuvering about to avoid turning the tail to Sifu, bows to the immediate family, then again careful maneuvering to avoid turning the tail to the family or to Sifu, to retreat down the aisle, backwards, stopping repeatedly to make more bows -- taking a half hour or so in total.

At the end of the service, there was another lion dance, similar to the first, with all kinds of ritual bowing, turning away for the closing of the casket, and then following the casket out to the hearst. 

I saw neither of these, which should tell you something -- or at least DM.  I was in one of those lions.  The tail.  Lady Cranefly was the head.

I'm posting this on this thread because, while my mind should have been elsewhere, there were times during those dances when, hunched over, struggling to balance on my knees, in my own little world beneath the lion's fabric body, looking down at a small section of the floor, I had to wonder what I was doing, at age 67, with bad hips, in such a situation, and furthermore whether I would be able to finish the dances (I did, but it wasn't pretty, and I don't really want to see the footage).

Sifu had told me maybe two months ago that he was no longer correcting my stance-work, because he knew I was limited by my hip problems.  He encouraged me to get it taken care of.

Today, very achy, more wobbly than ever, I'm thinking maybe that lion dance was a final lesson from Sifu -- to take his advice and get my hips done.
I'm nobody's pony.
Sorry I missed that.  I had to lead the Judges' Meeting for TCEC.
FWIW, I have heard nothing but good from people who got their hips replaced. My friends husband is a long-time kung-fu person and he finally got his one ailing hip replaced: All good, kind of embarrassed he didn’t do it sooner.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Today I went in and got my hips x-rayed.  It's a start.  We'll seen what the doc says.
I'm nobody's pony.
Good on you for starting the process.
Our Kung Fu sister Linda (from Santa Cruz) had her hips redone recently.  She might be at TCEC on Sunday, working for Ted's Plum Publishing table.  If so, I'll introduce you again.  You two met years ago - like 3 decades ago - she's a dear friend and used to train alongside me at Lam Kwoon in the mornings for a while.  I train with her now at Ted's.