Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sherlock Holmes: masterpiece theater
Word for 2017: ensanguinated
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Uh-oh.
Okay. I didn't like the first episode. It seemed to emphasize style over substance and not a lot of story. And since, the pivotal moment of the show was given away, that had a less of an impact. So, episode one was a bust.

Until I watched episode 2. Episode 2 was why I love this show. Lots of twists and turns and plot twists and outright lunacy. It was a great story. It was so great, it made episode 1 better on reflection. I guess you need to treat each episode as just being a part of the story rather than a discreet unit. Probably best to watch all 3 episodes at once.

Can't wait for episode 3, which could likely be the end of the series all together since Freeman and Cumberbatch both have such busy schedules at the  moment and for the foreseeable future.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I don't really see the 'story' so much.  The arcs are set up for major mcguffins, quite absurd when you step back and think about them, but this is not really the point of it, is it?  I saw S4E1 before the spoiler fest, so it worked well for me.  S4E2 didn't work as well because Sherlock didn't figure out the final mcguffin.  Sure, sure, he was high, and his new rival (?) is super deceptive too, but still, when you can deduce so much from infinitesimal cat hairs and such, you'd think that wouldn't've gotten past the master sleuth.  I did like the villain's jab at Trump - not sure how intentional that was but it was....wait for it....

...golden.   

Big Grin

Gotta laugh at it all now or I'll start crying over it.   Confused

I won't see S4E3 until later so I'm out of this thread until then...
Final episode was so contrived that it was almost unwatchable. It was very self-indulgent.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I concur with the Yeti. The 2nd episode was the best of the bunch.

Do you also get the feeling that Martin Freeman had a discussion with the writers along of the lines of " I'm a big star now so you need to give me important things to say and do"? A lot of what he does as Watson rings false. I mean, he's no Joan Watson, right?

Just a lot of puzzles oddly tied together with no real synergy between them

Empire Magazine was kind enough to rank the episodes of Sherlock for our edification.

Sherlock's Best Episodes.

Yeah, I think Martin threatened Mattiss and Moffat with Sting (the short-sword, not the short singer) for some better lines.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I though Freeman's character was totally screwed over by the writers this season. I don't think it's fault.
A friend of mine is reading the books for the first time (I read them in college I think). He reminded me the Watson ejaculates a lot. That's stuck in my head now.

I liked that ep 3 started with a sword wielding clown. Now who here does that remind me of? The prison got silly though - too over the top. I can't stand the secret max prison cell with clear walls, minimal furniture and no toilet. Why is that such a thing now?

The series could be done now. It's pushed its limits and as much as I'd love to see it go on, I'd hate to see a final season if it's played out. That happened to too many shows for me - Alias, Castle, Revenge - it's happening to Homeland now. That finale milked season goes sour, but you just gotta watch, no matter the foul taste it leaves in your mouth.
(01-20-2017, 09:32 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: "...but you just gotta watch, no matter the foul taste it leaves in your mouth,"

Watson ejaculated.
I'm nobody's pony.
(01-21-2017, 01:17 AM)cranefly Wrote:
(01-20-2017, 09:32 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: "...but you just gotta watch, no matter the foul taste it leaves in your mouth,"

Watson ejaculated.

not savory and salty?
Started watching this on Netflix and liking it, although (as DM said) some very ridiculous plot stuff. Oddly my wife likes it as well. Never read any of the books, so doing that now. See the Books thread soon.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I enjoyed most of them very much, but did not like most of Season 4. Never read the books, tried, but found them boring.