Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Norwegian Ninja
This just leaped to my top ten list of all-time best ninja flicks.

I got interested in Norwegian film after Trollhunter, and there's a clear connection between these two films. Both are clever, very tongue-in-cheek, make decent use of mediocre effects (NN actually has models on strings for a plane scene), and rely heavily on shaky cam (TH was all simulated hand-held doc footage; NN uses a lot of fake analog TV news reports and surveillance cameras). Both have a genuine indie vibe, and show off Norway in some random shots that look spectacular and the actors get off some hilarious deadpan comments in totally absurd scenes. Both stories show a careful observation of the genre - they are both comedic homages. It's enjoyable stuff - I'd watch more Norwegian film.

Norwegian Ninja is about Norway's modern secret ninja force. 'nuf said really. If that intrigues you, it's worth the view. The fight scenes are very mediocre and believe it or not, there isn't a single sword fight. However, there is a gratuitous Pomeranian, which makes it all good.

This is a total DOOM flick.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
If you're going to make a movie starring a relatively unknown Norwegian actor and you want it to do well at the U.S. box office, there'd better be a really good script behind it.

This didn't do very well at the U.S. box office.

A lot of fun, tongue in cheek to outrageous.  This is an alternate history of sorts, where Norway's most notorious traitor, Arne Treholt, who was convicted of high treason and espionage for working with the Soviets, is here shown to have been the leader of a ninja group that is secretly saving Norway from the Russians during the cold war.

It's such an outrageous concept, and appropriately done outrageously.

I loved the protagonist's overly explosive smokey materializations and disappearances throughout.

And is there anything sadder than a failed ninja moping about in the forest with a perky pomeranian?
I'm nobody's pony.