Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pacific Orchid Expo 02/26 - Fort Mason, San Francisco,CA
Just got back from our 4th visit to the POE (Pacific Orchid Expo). The largest orchid show and sale in the U.S.

Orchids are awesome flowers. They were originally planted by aliens in the tropics of Indonesia. They are close relatives of Musicalus Carnivorus as seen in the film and musical 'Little Shop of Horrors'. There are some 'tame' (i.e. boring) species that are sold in Trader Joe's and CVS, but the good ones can only be obtained through private sellers.

Seriously. This is a plant that has a family of 'Dracula'. The Dracula Vampira is particularly striking. [Image: dracula_vampira.jpg]

I purchased a couple of seed pods for the Habenaria Radiata. Will I be able to nurture the seeds to blossom? Time will tell. [Image: Habenaria_radiata.jpg]

A friend and I brought flasks of whisky and hung out upstairs gazing at Alcatraz while the fragile females strolled through the dangerous vegetation below.

Pictures from previous shows can be seen here: Orchid Show

Yes - I live on the edge.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
nothing like staring into a plant's genitals, eh?

we have a dying orchid on our table. we got it as an xmas gift. all the flowers have dropped off, like they always do, with a stupid stem and some green leaves remaining. it's one step from our compost...
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Drunk Monk Wrote:we have a dying orchid on our table. we got it as an xmas gift. all the flowers have dropped off, like they always do, with a stupid stem and some green leaves remaining. it's one step from our compost...

My mother in-law used to take all her orchids and once a week put them in a sink filled with water for a spell. They were all always awesome looking. That's all she did. We would give her our "twigs in pots" and months later we'd get them back with flowers.

--tg
I took an Orchid from Aunt Ida's house after she passed away. I've been managing to barely keep the thing alive. When the Orchid was at her house, it had blue-violet blossoms. At my house, the blossoms are white.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
we're just not into high maintenance plants.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse