Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency in Boston
It's fun making plans to fly to Boston at the last minute. Especially when your father calls seconds after you finish making the hotel and flight arrangements and tells you to cancel the hotel part because you now get to sleep in a cousin's daughter's bedroom.

My father's brother passed away on Friday. The family is flying there to support him.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Tough timing for the holidaze, bro. My thoughts are with you.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
It's an adventure. And as we all know adventures are tough things happening to other people.
The reasons to have funerals is bad. But having howitzers fired at the funeral make it less bad.

Because my Uncle retired as a Major General from the National Guard, they fired a 13 gun salute on the three howitzers they brought to the funeral.

They also gave him a 21 gun salute. I have never had a more frightening moment in my life. Somebody should have told the rifle squad the eitquette for the salute. Basically, you should point the rifles in the air rather than at the people standing around the casket. I almost wet myself.
Sorry. Couldn't resist. Really very sorry.

I hope to have big explosions at my funeral. That's such an honor.
You don't sound sorry. But he did go out with a bang.

I had the terrible to photograph-not photograph conundrum. On the whole, I opted not to photograph. But the pageantry was something that demanded pictures.
I was at a memorial for GM Al Novak last month and took some covert photos. It's not really appropriate at such events.
But how often am I going to be at a ceremony where they fire off howitzers?
Still on the fence if this is too morbid. Well, maybe not quite on the fence since I am posting.

[Image: jimFuneral.jpg]
Think of it as acknowledging the tribute, because it was clearly a tribute. I'm going to guess your uncle would've loved this pic. Maybe even more if you'd caught them mid-fire. Howitzers. Awesome tribute.
+1
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
A howitzer funeral should be documented.
My gravemarker will be a spittoon engraved with, "Move along; nothing here to see."
Howitzers are way impressive.
++n
I'm nobody's pony.