Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
China 2011-2012
You actually covered a lot of ground for a short period. For example, other than the temple itself, I think Gigi has only seen Songyang. I couldn't get her to climb up to the cave with me (we settled on some BBQed yams instead). She's never been to the other places. She's never been to the Longmen Grottoes. My last trip was the first time I saw Songyang actually. I didn't see Yongtai until like my 4th trip. And when I was first going, I was spending a month there.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I always cover ground on my trips. Ask the poor Queen.

As for Sal, it doesn't go beyond the forum.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
and i was training. i maxed out at four lessons a day. 2 hours in the morn, 2 more after lunch, a 2 hour free sparring session, all at the wushuguan, and then a private lesson in the mountains for an hour or so.

wow, it was great to be young. i doubt i'd survive a single 2 hour lesson nowadays.

there was a lot more around the temple back then, as i mentioned in my book. hundreds of stores and dozens of schools, all with in walking distance of the wushuguan, so there was a lot more to do in the immediate area when not training. and i did make it out to loyang, guanlinsi and baimasi on that first trip.
So I can go back to Shaolin when it was good. I didn't go into near as many weapon shops as I should have.
if you remember where dharma hall was, imagine both sides of the road lined with weapon shops, with a smattering of t-shirt/souvenir shops, restaurants and small schools. there were nearly 100 of them. some were quite large. most of the goods were wushu crap, but some had some amazing things behind the counter - a lot of stuff i still regret not buying back then because even with my resources now, i cannot find them again.
Actually that was one of the first places I tried to sneak into and was rebuffed.

The big thing now that I saw at the weapons shops were these super complicated fantasy swords. Lots of edges. Very Conan. They wouldn't fit in my bag. Nor would they have gotten by security.
Nothing to see there. At least, that's the way it used to be. It was one of the old dorms for Taguo.

Fantasy swords make sense as there are more to be seen in Chinese cinema nowadays. Once, when I went, tasers were all the rage. Another time, it was these dao that looked like Rambo knives, only bigger. I regret not purchasing either of those.
What are the chances Ms. Wong comes through? Besides zero, I mean.
not even crossing my fingers.

you sure you want to go back? oh right, someone else's dime. yeah, sure then.