Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Island in the sea of Time by SM Stirling
I might be late to the party on this one. I put him in the David Drake or Harry Turtledove category of putting out alternative history books every month. And I was kind of bored with the trope. I think I picked this one up because one of the more recent novels in this series got a good review, so I figured I should probably read the early novels before I got to the good one.

Basically all the inhabitants on the island of Nantucket and the island itself are transported back in time to 1250 BC where they have to fend for themselves while slowly running out of modern conveniences. As I was reading I felt strong echoes to the Eric Flint series 1632. The flint people didn't go quite so far back as the Stirling people. And it's the usual stuff. The community has to relearn how to grow crops. They have to figure out how to get electricity. They have to find some food. Meanwhile they get to discover the world of 1250 BC.

I gave up on the Flint stuff, but for some reason the Stirling stuff worked. It helped there was an antagonist in the group so there were some personal conflict as well as the much broader conflict. He did make some people really stupid and bigoted on Nantucket which also helped. Plus, there was good military action of the swords and chainmail variety.

I liked it. I kept reading faster and faster. Which actually defeats the purpose, because then you are done and there is no more book to savor. I tell you how the rest of the trilogy turns out.

There is also another series about the world of the 2000's where Nantucket has suddenly disappeared and what that means. But that's for another day.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Ember-verse is where the second present-day series takes place. Those are pretty fun. Stirling destroys the world and rebuilds it, staying mainly in the Pacific Northwest, but then going across country.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I'm reading the first one in that series while I await for the final two books from the first trilogy to get to the library.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit