Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
I enjoyed this movie a lot, despite James Franco. John Lithgow was, as he always seems to be, fantastic. Some of the dialog was a little eye rolling, including two of the homages to the original, but overall, it was fun. I was thrilled that the trailer didn't ruin it. It was a genuinely fun way to spend a couple of hours.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
That being said, it's still a pretty fun film. I spent most of the movie admiring the CGI for the apes. But it was a good origin story well told, you just have to forget the original origin story. And thankfully, they didn't feel the need for the big gotcha ending.

Lithgow was good. Sirkus was great. And he should have done the motion capture for the James Franco character.

There were a couple of iconic images that come to mind from the film but I will keep them to myself as they are bit spoilerish.

And can Bryan Cox be in a movie and not be in charge of an evil facility?
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Greg Wrote:Sirkus was great. And he should have done the motion capture for the James Franco character.
What a strange career Sirkus has created for himself - the king of mo-cap. And I hate Franco. I don't know why. I haven't seen anything with him in it. I just hate him.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Caught the original remake by Tim Burton on the airplane.  Made me think that J.J. Abrams lifted his whole film franchise redux style from Burton.  

It really bothered me that the humans could talk.
Hey! I know a guy that worked on that piece of crap. I think he still has movie props floating around the house.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Tell us a story, Uncle Greg.  Please, please, PLEASE!

I was thinking about what Burton was thinking when making it. "I'm gonna make Helen up like a chimp and then shoot a lot of her and her dreamy eyes just to show them."  

I was hoping she would hook up with Walhberg.
I could tell many. I could tell how Wahlberg was a dick. I could talk about the girl I almost killed (As in terrible accident, rather you are a doofus and I must 'kill you')

But I'm settling into Houston and reveling in the Joy that people are back on the not so dead forum.

I always figured wahlberg was a dick.

It's good to be back. Thanks Greg!
Of course Wahlberg is a dick. He exudes it. I find it hard to watch him in anything post Boogie Nights, where he was really good.

The Burton film was crap. And this one is even more idiotic, as was the original. Are you going to tell me that 7 billion humans can't overcome a few dozen genetically modified apes? Really? Better to leave out that part of the story since it's a gigantic plot hole.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Yea, yea, right, right, right....

.....but.....

....he's less of a dick than Bono.
I'm still not on the Bono is a dick bandwagon. How can you raise hundreds of millions of dollars for charity and be characterized as a dick?

Wahlberg is a pretty big dick. Although I really like him in The Other Guys.

Since we're on the topic of dicks, might I just add that I've seen a lot of them of late.  That's because I just watched Nymphomaniac 1 & 2.  In fact, I haven't seen this many penises since I got caught in a scrum playing college rugby.

I do think the Queen has the best line in this whole thread.

Quote:I enjoyed this movie a lot, despite James Franco.
I want to steal it for future use.
I'm nobody's pony.
I just caught the original Planet of the Apes with Charles Heston and am surprised how well it holds up. The national parks make insane backdrops - no CGI but some old skool glass paintings - and the sets are cheesy yet still impressive builds. The action is tight - lots of big jumps albeit staccato camerawork. This story is a bit self indulgent but it hits some classic notes. And that crazy epileptic cat on piano soundtrack really sells the tension. Still very enjoyable in that Byrne/REM nostalgic way.
It held up better than 2001.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.