Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World War Z by Max Brooks (2007)
World War Z - Amazon

Someone had given this book to Dee Dee a while back. I was going on a short camping trip to make sure our equipment was in working order so I grabbed it off the shelf. I heard a movie was in the works and I love saying 'the book was better'.

The book is definite 'junk food', lots of action, short chapters and hard to stop reading. It's also intelligently written.

The premise is standard zombie origin fare. Mysterious plague revives the dead who then crave living flesh. The twist is how the writer envisions each country handling the outbreak. Instead of a single narrative he presents the scenario as a collection of interviews conducted by a war journalist.

The journalist interviews civilians and military personnel around the globe. Each person telling how they survived and how those around them did not. Some are crazy, some suicidal, some are sad but most are just physically and emotionally scarred from the things they saw or did.

It's a sobering, scary book. I had trouble sleeping all alone in my tent those two nights.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
then you need to read Feed, as well. It's a Zombiepocalypse set against a Presidential campaign.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
I've swapped some emails with Roger Ma, the author. He was hoping we'd do something to help promote his book, because he discusses how Shaolin monks are particularly good at fighting zombies, but I couldn't justify investing the energy into it. I was tempted to get a real Shaolin monk to have a dialog with him - maybe for Halloween. Anyway, it got me digging into zombies a little.

Did you know there are Zombie conventions now?
http://www.zombcon.com/
This screams DOOM road trip, right?
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I'll go once I see the Yeti in the car with the motor running.
We'd all have to pile on the back of PPFY's bike. DM has ridden on the back of ED's bike, back in the day. He still has psychological damage from that. Come to think of it, DM has sustained a lot of psychological damage from his lifelong seemingly-innocuous friendship with ED. WTF!?
You have sustained psychological damage from most of the brothers. Maybe, subconsciously, you are seeking this damage? Maybe you want this damage? Maybe there is no maybe about it.
that's sort of...damaging.
Found this thread and recently read the book, so I'm joining in.

I thought it was interesting because it wasn't the usual individuals running from zombies and trying to carve out a place to hide/defend. Instead, it was much more about various governments' responses to the crisis, and so was much more about politics and strategy. Very well done, and a nice change from the other zombie books I've read.
the hands that guide me are invisible
(07-15-2011, 04:42 PM)Greg_phpbb3_import1 Wrote: You have sustained psychological damage from most of the brothers. Maybe, subconsciously, you are seeking this damage? Maybe you want this damage? Maybe there is no maybe about it.

Woah.  Maybe I'm the masochist.  That would explain a lot.  

Mind blown.
And yet every year, I shoot the TCEC.....

I thought the movie wasn't bad.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

The book was Studs Terkel's history of the zombie apocalypse. I didn't see the movie because I knew they weren't going to make a history out of it.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.