Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damien "Jr. Gong' Marley & U2 @ Oakland Colesium 11
I've been following the Jr. Gong all summer - he was the climax of Reggae on the River and the missed opportunity at KMEL jam. I even bought Welcome to Jamrock the day it was released. So I was very excited about this line-up. The stage had a round glory ramp that encircled a special VIP area that I had access to. For Jr. Gong's set, I was in the center, about ten feet from stage. It was great. The bass player was a little lazy, but the two back up singers were awesome and stole the show from young Damien with their soulful harmonies and wicked dance moves. One lady had a pelvic thrust that could swallow an arm and break an elbow. The finale was Jamrock, which was triumphant. It was a great set, but I feel I'm done with Jr. Gong for now.

What can be said about U2? They're lving rock legends. Their show was simply awesome - a tight professional four piece that's been going over 30 years now - so slick, so dialed into their music. And they put on a spectacular show. What I first thought was a minimalist stage for U2 was dazzling. These huge hanging curtains were made of flat circles that acted like pixels for projections - videos, abstract colors, all the world's flags scrolling up during In the Name of Love. To be in a sold out crowd chanting Oh Oh-a Oh, Oh Oh-a Oh, is very estatic. The circular glory ramp lit up providing a whirlpool of light for Vertigo. Just amazing. Bono and the Edge haven't lost a thing - astounding licks and chops, beautiful messages and great, great songs. Every note was passionate and dead on. And they play LOUD - headsplittingly LOUD. You just don't get that out of your radio or CD player. You don't feel the power of the Edge. It's glorious. If you've never experienced U2 live, you are missing one of the greatest living rock bands of our era.

Aslo of note, we were close to backstage so I crossed paths with Robin Williams, Wynona Ryder and Lance Armstong. No, Wynona didn't steal my wallet. Sean Penn was there too, but I didn't see him. I had a bad experience with him at a No Doubt show a while back, so it's just as well.

Life is good. I've been hearing a lot of great music lately it's very inspirational and refreshing. City of Blinding Lights is still echoing in my head and I'll probably be humming it for days...
Next week, Metallica/Stones!
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I knew this review was coming. Grrr. I hear "City of Blinding Lights" on my CD and I can't wait to hear it live. Or "Love and Peace" Grrr. I hate Gene. Why weren't there a ton of psyche patients to distract him?
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
We only had a few patients, nothing that wasn't eagerly taken care of by our enthusiastic newbies.

There were an amazing amount of stunningly beautiful women though. At one point, this absolutely gorgeous young groupie came up to be real close and whispered "You look like an authority. Are you the one I ask if I will do anything - ANYTHING - to get backstage?" Eek
Shadow boxing the apocalypse