Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japanese food
Maybe not the appropriate thread for this, but close enough for me.
Confused Confused Confused
http://m.wsj.net/video/20161128/112816de...ec664k.mp4
I'm nobody's pony.
(11-28-2016, 01:17 PM)cranefly Wrote: Maybe not the appropriate thread for this, but close enough for me.
Confused Confused Confused
http://m.wsj.net/video/20161128/112816de...ec664k.mp4

Better here than on some totally new thread as I can't imagine that topic leading to a lot more discussion. What an odd concept. The vitriolic reaction makes it almost gangsta art.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
GREG!  Angry Angry Angry

Quote:Celebrate pancakes with a maple syrup bath at this famous Japanese hot spring resort
[Image: e784a1e9a18c.png?w=580&h=395]
Sweet dreams are made of baths with a maple syrup.

Nothing quite beats the sweet smell of pancakes in the morning, topped with a dollop of butter and drizzled with maple syrup. Pancake Day – which, if you didn’t know, was February 28 – may have already passed, but starting March 3 you can celebrate these delicious fluffy treats at the famous Hakone Kowakien Yunessun hot spring resort by taking a dip in the maple-scented “hot cake bath”.
Yes, the same facility that has let guests relax in baths of green tea, coffee, and wine is now giving you the opportunity to take a soak in a bath scented like the breakfast time favorite. To celebrate the 60th anniversary of its pancake mix, Japanese confectionery company Morinaga has collaborated with the Yunessun resort to bring you this special bath scented like sweet maple syrup carrying gentle notes of vanilla. Three times a day, staff will pour bottles of real maple syrup into the bath, so you know you’re bathing in the real deal.

[Image: e784a1e9a18c1.png?w=580&h=408]Image: Yunessun

This bath can be found in the resort’s “swimsuit area”, meaning that, unlike in more traditional hot springs, this area is for bathers who are not in the nude. This is great for families or mixed groups of friends who want to enjoy an onsen trip together, and a good compromise for those who want to experience Japan’s hot spring culture but don’t want to bare it all.
Hakone Kowakien Yunessun is accessible by train and bus, about two hours from Tokyo’s Shinjuku Station, making for an easy day-trip or weekend getaway. The hot cake bath will only be around until April 25, so don’t wait! If you can’t make it to the resort, these rice cooker apple pancakes may just be the next best thing.
Resort Information
Hakone Kowakien Yunessun / 箱根小涌園ユネッサン
Address: Kanagawa-ken Ashigarashimo-ku Hakone-cho Ninotaira 1297
神奈川県足柄下区箱根町二ノ平1297
Open 9 a.m.-8 p.m.
Website
Source: Yunessun via NariNari 
Top image: Yunessun
Rate this:
No doubt these hot springs include a springboard so that you can properly flapjack into bliss.

This is crazy.  I'm salivating now.  Damned maple syrup.
I'm nobody's pony.
The only one of the DOOMers who has knowledge of the Maple Bliss is DM. At the time of his Liquid Canadian Inundation, he pronounced it "sticky".
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I still have a container of syrup that Greg gave me.  It's not maple syrup.  It's one of those fake syrups. That adds salt in the wound (or maybe sugar).  I'm not sure when he gave it to me.  Was it at his wedding?  Well, whenever.  I'm letting it age, and when it is ready, it's gonna be nightdropped on some DOOM bro.  As if DOOM does nightdrops anymore.  Maybe I can just FedEx it.

I am astonished to learn that my birthday is Pancake Day.  I am also disappointed that this is only offered in the swimsuit tubs.
How quickly they forget the thoughtful wedding gifts I provided.....
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(03-06-2017, 02:03 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote:   Was it at his wedding?  Well, whenever.  

I remembered. I just wasn't sure. I get an awful lot of syrups and sauces as gifts so I got confused.
This is an experiment to see which sushi franchise Japanese subjects want.

White washing is everywhere.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Sometimes my culture just befuddles me.

Quote:Adorable, edible dog buttholes are part of this new take on traditional Japanese sweets
[Image: dd-1.png?w=580&h=385]
The Shiba Inu once again shows up where we’d least expect it, makes us smile.

Mitarashi dango are one of Japan’s favorite traditional sweets. As pictured above, they’re bite-sized dumplings made with sticky rice flour, skewered and served with a sweet, sticky glaze.
Their name is a bit of an oddity, though. Sure, “dango” just means “dumplings,” but “mitarashi” usually refers to the purifying water at the front of Shinto shrines. One theory is that the round shape of the dumplings is supposed to be evocative of water bubbles, but Japanese Twitter user Nao decided to whip up a batch of mitarashi dango that look like something else entirely…
[Image: dd-2.png?w=580&h=656]
…dog butts.
Specifically, those are Shiba Inu booties, which is only fitting seeing how the Shiba Inu’s mix of dopey grins and fearless curiosity has made it the Japanese Internet’s favorite breed.
View image on Twitter

This isn’t Nao’s only foray into animal-inspired dumplings. She’s also created dango bunnies and seals.
[Image: dd-3.png?w=580&h=290]

And for larger-scale artistic endeavors in the medium of food, she’s dressed up bread rolls dusted with flower as pandas and teddy bears.

But we’d say the Shiba Inu dumplings are her masterpiece so far, and now we can’t help wondering if it would somehow be possible to apply the concept to Häagen-Dazs’ mitarashi walnut ice cream.
Source: Twitter/@england618 (Nao)
Top image: Wikipedia/Ocdp
Insert images: Twitter/@england618 (123)
Read in Japanese ]
Rate this:
Quote:Eat shit and learn Japanese with educational poo-inspired candies from Japan
[Image: ug-1.png?w=580&h=330]
Professor Poop wants to impart you with kanji knowledge during his temporary stay in your digestive system.

In spite of the country’s legendary cleanliness, or maybe because of it, Japan absolutely loves a good poo joke. So back in the spring, publisher Bunkyosha dropped the [b]Unko Kanji Drill, or Poop Kanji Drill[/b], series of educational texts onto the market, filled with exercises to help young kids learn kanji, Japan’s most complex writing system, through poo-related example sentences.
The books quickly became best sellers, with over 2.76 million copies printed to far in order to keep up with demand. Capitalizing on that popularity, Unko-sensei (“Professor Poop”), the series’ mascot, now has his own line of candies, and yes, they all look like little turds.
[/url]
[Image: DNxRjIlU8AEbKYZ.jpg:small][Image: DNxRjIkVAAE_VjE.jpg:small][Image: DNxRjImUIAY5b8v.jpg:small]

Quote:

[Image: NAae8Ifl_normal.jpg]きらり @lg4At0V2MARL7ab

うんこ漢字ドリルのグミ[Image: 1f602.png][Image: 1f4a9.png][Image: 1f44d.png]
10:58 PM - Nov 3, 2017

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Since Unko-sensei is himself an anthropomorphized swirl of poop, this means that manufacturer Bandai Candy is, essentially, encouraging its customers to eat shit. Thankfully, the Unko Kanji Drill Gummies, which went on sale November 7, contain no actual fecal matter. Instead the brightly colored chewy snacks are cola-flavored. In keeping with the books’ artwork, Unko-sensei is not a realistic dark brown, but instead bright yellow, or alternatively pink, when in gummy form (note: if your own stool should become neon yellow or pink in hue, consult a physician immediately, unless you’ve been eating some similarly shaded novelty hamburgers).
▼ As an added bonus, double-sized Big Unko-sensei gummies are randomly packed in, mirroring your digestive tract’s occasional bouts with extra-large work orders.

Quote:弟に買ってったうんこ漢字ドリルグミかわいい笑 大きいの入ってた!笑 https://t.co/K93EYo5ctq
— 
[Image: 1f423.svg] (@koto1446) November 06, 2017

The Unko Kanji Drill Gummies haven’t forgotten the franchise’s original purpose, either, as the pouch they come in contains one of 12 sets of example sentences of the back for you to practice your reading and writing with.
And just as you should have regular bowl movements, Bandai Candy will be rolling out another turd-inspired candy on December 12 with the launch of Unko Kanji Drill Soft Candy. The individually wrapped treats have a yogurt/grape flavor, and will have kanji drill sentences on their wrappers. They’ll also come with Unko-sensei stickers, meaning that yes, th soft candies will give you sticky poo.
Both varieties can be purchased in convenience stores and supermarkets nationwide. The gummies are priced at just 108 yen (US$0.98), and even though the soft candies are a little more expensive at 216 yen, there’s no denying that either way, this is some cheap shit.
Sources: IT Media@Press
Top image: @Press
Quote:Japan’s new Leftover Bathwater drink has us strangely titillated【Taste test】
[Image: bathwater1-2.jpg?w=580&h=466]
Did our indulgence in the bathwater of beautiful women and handsome men make us very, very bad?

Oh Japan, the land of the quirky, the funny, the cute, and the silly. Some things, we have to admit, are just plain weird. Like this KFC internet escape pod. Or when a company recognizes marriage with an anime character. Sometimes, it’s really just better to not ask questions about these things and simply go about your day like everything is fine.
This is the mindset we were in when we found Village Vanguard’s long-awaited Leftover Bathwater Drink from beautiful ladies and handsome men. Ever since we heard about it back in October, we’d been dying to try it. Of course, it’s not real bathwater, because that would be weird, and probably a little gross. Village Vanguard was careful to make sure we understood that so they wrote it right on the label:

Quote:“This is just water. Just water…it’s not leftover bathwater, just tasty water. But telling you that won’t be enough to suppress all the things you’re imagining as you drink this beverage made in the image of the leftover bathwater a beautiful woman [or man] was bathing in.”

Now, you might be thinking…if it’s not really leftover bathwater, then what’s the point? The label makes some lofty claims, and at SoraNews24, we can’t let a challenge like this slip by. We wanted to see if it would really bring out our dirty side, so we bought a bottle of each.
We tried the Lovely Lady one first….simply because it’s what attracted our attention. Right away the bottle had us feeling like we were about to indulge in something naughty. After all, there was a nude woman partially submerged in bathwater on the label, blushing from the heat (or maybe something more?). In the pink captions around her, it says, “You’re going to drink the leftover bathwater? Are you crazy!? If you do that…you and I are through!!”
[Image: bathwater2.jpg?w=580&h=502]
Uh oh, already we’ve been told not to do it. She must know what that does to us.
Unable to suppress a rising excitement, we twisted off the cap and took a sip
[Image: bathwater3.jpg?w=580&h=475]
Hm. It really did taste like plain water. But wait…wasn’t there…wasn’t there just a hint of a rosy scent? Perhaps…not? Hmm…
[Image: bathwater4.jpg?w=580&h=481]
Well, that had us a bit perplexed. It’s supposed to be plain water…it’s not supposed to taste like anything…but why did we feel a titillating sense of taboo with each swallow?
Now to try the Handsome Man variety. Would it evoke similar feelings?
Showing a naked man wearing glasses, akin to your standard attractive, smart-guy anime character, the label on this one features similarly evocative commentary: “Drinking the leftover bathwater? Don’t be absurd. Just go dry yourself off.”
[Image: bathwater5.jpg?w=580&h=463]
Ooohh, dry ourselves off? How risqué! I wonder if he will be watching…?
With our hearts throbbing we took a sip…
[Image: bathwater6.jpg?w=580&h=470]
Hmm….no extra tints or flavors to this one…it just tasted like regular water. I suppose that’s owing to men not wearing much perfume.
Oh yeah…It’s supposed to be regular water. Just to make sure, we inspected the bottles to find out the ingredients, and written right on the label, in plain ink, is the only ingredient: “mineral water“. And if you look even more closely, you’ll see, for extra clarification, written on the very bottom of the bottle, “This is a joke product.”
[Image: bathwater7.jpg?w=580&h=502]
Hmm, mysterious. Perhaps that floral scent was just our imagination?
Well of course it was! How could they bottle and sell someone’s leftover bathwater?
We have to admit, it worked a little, just a littleon us. We’re not sure how. Maybe we’ve just got minds in the gutter. Would a taste by a more innocent individual reveal similar results? No one knows. For now we will just enjoy the experience.
Plus, we can’t deny that we love the concept. Inducing arousing visions of a pretty ladyor a handsome man naked in a bath just by drinking some water? Novel, and genius. It’s really a smart bit of marketing that makes you want to spend almost $3 on a bottle of plain mineral water. It certainly worked on our Japanese language correspondent, who thought it was real! (We’ll worry about her later.)