Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DM travels southish
Safe Travels.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Thanks!

Yukz and I had one last walk along the La Jolla beach. He chased some gulls. It was foggy. 

Now I'm just killing time. I'm pretty much packed and will head over to Tara's in about an hour.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Thought I'd post this here since there's not another San Diego thread. Mostly we did family stuff, but I did get down to the art museum. They had a very nice photography show, a survey of 20th century works with a number of very famous images.

We also hit the Museum of Making Music, which is run by NAMM and is in their headquarters. It's a small museum, but there are lots of great instruments in their collection, and a number of them which visitors can play. I got to play a nice Kamaka tenor ukulele, a theremin, a hammered dulcimer, and a weird instrument called the harpejji, which is played by hammering down like the Chapman stick but is wider and sits on a table. I also played a Hofner bass like Paul McCartney's (although a recent model). I have to report that I hated it. The neck was narrow but thick and I didn't like the feel of it. Also I couldn't get a tone out of it that I liked.

I also hit Farenheit 451 books in Carlsbad, which used to be a generalist used bookstore, but has turned more to rare books. I did find a book called The Urban Bestiary, about wild animals in cities.

My nephews children (4 and 7) are kind of monsters. Fortunately they are apparently a bit afraid of me and don't try too much with me.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Yeah, I kinda regret not doing a San Diego thread and just tacking on my SD trips to this one. 

How hard is it to play a theremin? It doesn't look that hard. 

Are you back yet?
It would be hard to play a particular melody. It's easy to get sounds out of it, but hard to place your hand accurately to hit particular notes.

Came back today.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Just bought my ticket for LA for the second weekend of Nov when the Abbot of Shaolin Temple will be present for an event. Tiger Claw and Immortal Studios are involved, possibly Den of Geek, so it might be a tricky Shaolin song & dance for me. 

The Abbot will be in SF the weekend prior so I will have some disciple duties then too.

Once again back into the Shaolin shuffle. Hope I won't get dealt out to harshly...
(10-11-2023, 02:04 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Just bought my ticket for LA for the second weekend of Nov when the Abbot of Shaolin Temple will be present for an event. Tiger Claw and Immortal Studios are involved, possibly Den of Geek, so it might be a tricky Shaolin song & dance for me. 

The Abbot will be in SF the weekend prior so I will have some disciple duties then too.

Once again back into the Shaolin shuffle. Hope I won't get dealt out to harshly...

I hope that all goes smoothly. That sounds like a lot of chainsaws and bowling balls to keep in the air.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
More like chain whips, white waxwood staffs and guandao, but yeah. I’m annoyed that I had to pay for my own airfare (I can write it off) and only got my room and incidentals covered. I was too late for cheap flights because all the details weren’t nailed down. They still aren’t all in place but at least enough are stable that I can commit now. 
It’ll be fun reuniting with the abbot and my disciple brother, who is a longtime international partner in crime and at 51, is competing.
No Bucks. No Buck Rodgers.

What does that even mean?
Oh, DM.

Ha

I guess I screwed the pooch on that one

Or at least my memory did

At least I can remember if I did the act with JB or not. 

The answer is not.
I'm staying away from that discussion.....

Coward
Yes?