Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Machete
It's the most gratuitous movie of the summer, a must see for all the Doom brothers. It has gratuitous nudity, gratuitous violence and gratuitous explosions. If you like a mangled mess of a move, this is the one for you.

I don't know what deal with the devil Danny Trejo made, but it's a good one. One of his main jobs in the film, when he is not performing machete mayhem, is to sleep with all the naked women in the film. And it's quite the catalog everyone from Jessica Alba to Lindsey Lohan.

The plot is incomprehensible. The acting is atrocious. (Steven Seagal anyone?) The dialogue completely unreasonable. The immigrant message is overbearing. That being said, you should still go see it. If only for Cheech Marin and the intestine scene. And who doesn't like a hospital chock full of hot nurses?

I could feel my brothers around me as I watched this film
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Even I, delicate flower that I am, laughed my ass off at the certain moments. Then I came home and washed my brain to scrub the filth away.

I can't wait for football to start.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Finally saw it on Blu-Ray.

Glorious. Danny Trejo (at 62yo and enough redemption to make Mike Tyson blush) is fantastic. More heads cut off per minute than any film ever. The triple-decapitation in the opening scene sets a new bar.

The heavy-handed immigration politics is a direct reference to the heavy-handed race politics of Blaxploitation films and reading IMDB/Amazon reviews reacting to them is delicious.

I want a tattoo of Danny Trejo getting a tattoo of Danny Trejo.

I liked it better than 'Grindhouse' or the full-length "Death Proof"
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Ever seen the Spy Kids franchise? Rodriguez directed those too, and Trejo has a role. MK is a lot like that in style only with more gratuitous violence and swearing. It's weird how Tarantino and Rodriguez have made grindhouse even more caricature of itself. It's part homage, part exploitive, but sometimes feels a little less genuine to the genre. The cameos are amusing just as cameos always are - Lady Gaga steals the show. No gratuitous nudity - just skimpy outfits (maybe Netflix has an edited version but I don't think so). Lady Gaga has the best cameo. Crappy CGI effects. Way too much CGI blood - there should be a law that all grindhouse flick use real liquid blood, not digital. Funny helicopter violence. Lots of self-deprecating Mexican humor, which made me think Asian Hollywood stars (all three of them) should do something similar with Justin Lin at the helm maybe. The biggest plus was Marko Zaror, playing 'Zaror', the top henchman. I've been following him for some times now - he's one of the rising martial arts stars, reviewed on this forum already, definitely one to watch. Yes, there are sword fights, including a finale fight against Mel Gibson that was satisfying.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Yeah - This one was fun (mainly because of Mel Gibson) but not jaw-dropping. The opening fake 'Coming Attraction' was the most entertaining thing. I did like the 'inside-out' gun and Border Patrol scene but it wasn't as good as the first.

I still enjoyed it so 3 out of 5 decapitated heads.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Interesting.

The Mountain View Library has 2 copies of Machete and 2 copies of Machete Kills. All are currently available, only I'm not.

Will try to get them when I get back from Indiana (Sept 15).
I'm nobody's pony.
I saw this the other night, then totally forgot about it:

[youtube]rqbomTIWCZ8[/youtube]

--tg
Machete Kills is even better now. Now that Trump's wall is a thing. Now that I know Danny and Marko. Now that El Rey is running ads for our show during it. Much better.
I revisited Machete yesterday.  Since I haven't been able to access my show, I needed a fix of Danny.  It's so weird to see this now - the wall and border politics make it seem almost premoninative.  DeNiro is in stark contrast to his anti-45 stance in real life.  And it's the best role Seagal has ever done after his first one.  Whoever the narrator was for the political ads seems to be the same narrator for our Man at Arms ads.  

They really need to make Machete in Space. That could be so good.