Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 08/30 @ The Greek
This was my first time seeing Tom Petty.

I never considered myself a hard-core fan. I never even owned one of his albums. I had a few hits on compillation CDs for my wedding DJ stints but that was about it. I just felt that as a musicologist I needed to see him live at least once.

I knew almost every song. I even knew some songs he didn't play that night ("You Got Lucky", "I Need to Know", "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around").

It always makes me wonder how one musician can have so many hits. Artists like Bob Seger, Billy Joel, Prince, Elvis Costello, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen etc. were the top 1% of Billboard charts.

Which begs the question, where are contemporary 'Superstar' artists. I am not convinced that Kanye West and Taylor Swift are generation-spanning performers on the level of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who or The Kinks.

I think (BTW beware of any written or spoken phrase that begins with"I think") music has become so compartmentalized that modern listeners cannot appreciate music out of their comfort zone.

When I grew up AM radio played Glen Campbell next to Styx, Al Stewart next to Earth Wind and Fire. Pop music was anything non-classical.

Eventually FM split pop genres into rock/r&b/country and record labels strengthened that split through regional target marketing and identity promotion.

Our next class will delve into the engineered murder of the expensive vinyl format and the rise of the CD.

Anyway, Tom Petty was great. Two hours flew by in two minutes.

I have to give a shout out to his lighting crew. A grid of 20 x 8 physical 12" globe lights, each individually raised and lowered acted like a school of color-changing jellyfish suspended above the band. Such a breath of frsh air from the pulsing LEDs most bands use.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
I luv Tom. He once had the audience at Cal Expo applaud the pit crew for pulling this asshole out of the crush. He was punching people - not high, just an asshole. Guess who was in that pit crew?  He stopped the song, pointed at him, and had us kick him out. Then he told the crowd to applaud us. We made direct eye contact from about 15 feet away and he gave me a nod. It was one of my proud moments in music.

Saw that whole show from the pit, except when I was carrying out passed out girls. Tom was amazing.

I really wanted to get up to the Greek for this run but just couldn't swing it schedule-wise. Glad you finally got to see him.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I saw TP three times during his hey day and was probably my favorite concert experience up until seeing U2 live. I saw him first at the US festival.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(08-31-2017, 09:32 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: I really wanted to get up to the Greek for this run but just couldn't swing it schedule-wise. Glad you finally got to see him.

Now I'm really really bummed.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse