Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silversun Pickups & Muse @ Oracle 4/14/10
Not really into either band. Just went to be social and log some RM time.

Everyone was excited about Silversun Pickups opening. They were okay, derivative of Smashing Pumpkins. Usually I like female bassists better.

Muse was surprisingly good. They were nothing like the CD my carpooling companion played for me on the way up. Muse is a tight little power trio with a spectacular stage show. Each band member was atop these pixalated screen towers that moved up and down and presented various images. Lots of lasers and that never gets old. The jams took some interesting turns, sampling vintage pop riffs, even the U.S. anthem. They didn't blow me away or anything, but they were much more entertaining than I expected. The stage helped a lot. When the music took a pop jingle turn, I could just gaze at the stage and be a-muse-d.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
And Silversun Pickups? You didn't mention that part. They are a local silverlake band that just broke big last year. They play the song "Panic Switch" to death down here. I'm really glad you liked them so you won't castigate me for saying you should go.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Silversun was underwhelming, especially as there were a lot of people there excited about this band.

Muse was derogative of U2. I meant to mention that. That applies mostly to the way their jams move to crescendos as their stage does something colorful. U2 is much better at what they do of course. If there was no U2, there would have been no Muse.
I saw Muse on SNL and thought they were boring/pretentious (although, the same thing happened with Vampire Weekend, and they were actually pretty good when I saw them by accident).

I've been liking the few Silversun Pickup tracks I've been hearing. I thought the singer was a chick with a really cool voice, then I saw them on some late night show and found out it was a dude. Now I'm all confused as to whether I can still like them or not. :?

--yg
I would consider Muse to be more like Ultravox or that sort of band (can't think of any other names right now) than U2, but I'm basing that on admittedly limited knowledge. ED - what's your take?
the hands that guide me are invisible
I just recently discovered Muse and have a hard time fitting them into any category.

Anthemic Alternative? Yes + Rush x My Chemical Romance with a pinch of Queensryche?

Their sound is big and powerful, meant to be played at high volumes as you don your armor and march to tonight's castle siege.

I wanted to go to the show but couldn't justify the ticket price and the obscene TicketMaster 'convenience fee'.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Come on. Shouldn't you have to pay a service fee to print tickets on your own computer printer? It's only fair.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
My U2 comparison is more on the overall stage experience which was very good and involved a lot of eyeballs. Eyeballs on the towers, as well as huge falling eyeballs, which I missed because I had help a patient figure out her cell phone. You know how I like eyeballs. The band far exceeded my expectations and the radio stuff doesn't sound at all like what they did live.

And ED is right, just like U2, they play loud. I like loud too. I guess I like eyeballs but not ear canals.
Quote:October 4, 2012 14:16
Muse: 'Our UK tour will feature aliens, pyramids and kung-fu' Muse Tickets

Muse's forthcoming UK tour will feature dancing aliens, an LED pyramid and kung-fu.

Drummer Dom Howard revealed the Devon trio's ambitious stage plans, saying fans will be able to see "dancing aliens" and "me doing some kung-fu at some point onstage".

He told BBC Newsbeat: "We made this huge upside down pyramid, which is made out of LED screens so we can put visuals on it. Basically this screen moves and can morph into different shapes. It will come down and completely consume me on my drum kit."

Meanwhile, singer Matt Bellamy has told The Telegraph that he thinks arena-touring electronic artists such as Skrillex, signal out the "value of human beings performing".

"People will pay money to see someone with a laptop who's done all the experimentation at home and pretty much just hits the space bar," he said. "There is a part of us that is definitely clinging to the organic, human side of music, to honour our friendship and the fact that we want to play together in a room."

He added:

We're not afraid to bring new elements into the equation but we're not quite prepared to go full robot. I think we're kind of cyborgy!

Muse's new album '2nd Law' is on course to topple Mumford & Sons in the UK Album Chart. The record includes new singles 'Madness' and 'Survival' as well as dubstep-influenced track 'The 2nd Law: Unsustainable'. The 13-track album is the follow-up to 2009's 'The Resistance' and was recorded in London.
http://www.nme.com/news/muse/66464#2

I dig their new tune. T is really into them now too.
[youtube]Ek0SgwWmF9w[/youtube]

Also Panic Switch has really grown on me over the last two years. Good tune. I can totally relate.
[youtube]AG8fugqFn9Q[/youtube]
ED is right.  I luv Muse now. Their political overtones are the new battle anthems.
"When God decides to look the other way
And a clown takes the throne
We must find a way"

And was right. I luv Silversun Pickups too, for Panic room, great track.

And I luv this.  It made my day.  MUSE + Max Headroom + Kung Fu Cyborg chick.  

I missed the first opener. 

2nd was 30 seconds to meh.

Muse was great. ED hit it on the head with Anthemic Alternative. They opened with Dig Down, the epitome of anthemic alternaotve. The set had these tall vid screens that were manipulated about the stage by stagehands. Visuals were mostly abstract geometries but o couldn't see clearly because of the crowd. Caught a few tunes at the beginning that I didn't quite recognize. Rushed out to hear Madness. I was stuck at table service for the last third of the show, but that was fun.

Had a yummy Korean fusion mushroom and tofu burrito from a food truck. Only $13.  Rolleyes

Most of the vols weren't born when I started working rock Med. One slim cute Korean gal pulls me aside at the end - Jolene who I suspect does TKD by her body attitude. She says 'You're Gene!' 'Why yes. Yes I am.' I reply.She says 'Someone thought I was your daughter.'  Next time we meet, Jolene will be calling DM 'daddy'.
Ew.

Did I mention ew?
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Aw come on now. Don't knock Korean fusion mushroom and tofu burritos until you try one.
I'm not talking about the burrito.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

30 seconds to meh weren't ew, they were meh.