Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Princess and the Frog
First a black prez and now a black D-princess. Nice!

It's a brilliant return to semi-traditional animation (there's still CGI frameworking, ala Beauty and the Beast, but better actualized in that it's more subtle). There's some fine spoofing of the princess/wish upon a star motifs, as well as a very Disney death scene that works very well. But where this is the most fascinating is the synergy, something that Disney has always mastered. It's set in N'Orleans, which was always the weirdest but best land of D-land. Fantasyland, Frontierland, Futureland, all those make sense, but New Orleans land? Plus it had the best rides - Haunted Mansion & Pirates. The architecture looked more like D-land N'Orleans than the real N'Orleans (not that I've ever been there) but mark my words... Tiana's Palace will be the new D-land restaurant in N'Orleans very soon.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Feh! You reside on a thrown of lies.

I really wish they had finished the story before they started work on this movie. The plot was weak. The characters seem one-dimensional. And before you snap back with it's a child's cartoon, I give you every other pixar film made that has great characterization. Yes, Pixar is a different company but this was the first film done under the auspices of John Lasseter. It seemed like this was the animatic for the film they were going to make. Even the animation was suspect. There was no big wow that looks cool shots.

I'm glad I saw this for free on the Netflix.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Why do you need a plot when there's D-land? It's not about the film. It's about synergy. It's the big D. It's always been about synergy.
Yeah, back when Disney was doing Snow White, it was all about the synergy. Behold my shattered childhood that lies in ashes beneath your feet.

I don't mind the tie-ins. It would have been nice to tie it into something substantial.
Come on now. You'll feel better with a nice bowl of Tiana's gumbo the next time you visit D-Land. It's a bargain at $15!
Who broke your childhood?
i get a second childhood. you get your dog chasing you with 60+ pounds tied to your jewels. where's the justice in that?
They might not be jewels for very much longer.
jewels aren't made of IRON!!!
Finally got around to seeing this. I really enjoyed it. The music and voice acting were top-notch. I liked the 2D animation but not the 3D crap.

The firefly was a great Disney character and should have his own show.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Truth be told, I can't really remember this that well now. It's a hazard of my job - too many blows to the head - it messes with my memory. All that stands out now is the voodoo scene, which if I recall correctly, was pretty psychedelic. I like that psychedelic voodoo stuff. It's sparkly.