Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pogues + Devotchka @ The Warfield 10/13/09
Devotchka is becoming one of my favorite bands. They take the whole 'Gypsy Punk' thing to a new level. There are only four members but they use rhythm and melody loops to make it sound like a 10 piece orchestra.

Also they have a female bass player. A female bass TUBA. That's right, for man songs the little lady breaks out the big brass horn and plays a bass line that grooves up to eleven.

Actually each band member plays 15 different instruments. The stage looks like a music store threw up all over it.

They were great. I bought the T-Shirt.

Unfortunately the promoters snuck an opening band into the lineup. The bass player from The Circle Jerks and some other guy did an hour of really dull blues numbers. This unwanted hour made the show last an hour later than I thought it was going to. The Pogues didn't stagger onstage until 10:45PM. I thought I'd be leaving at 11:15 (like most weeknight Warfield/Fillmore shows). This is critical because we can only leave the dogs cooped up in the house for a short time.

I ended up leaving early to be on dog patrol. Dee Dee works in S.F. and had driven herself in so that wasn't a problem.

Still sucked though because the few songs I got to see were fantastic. Shane MacGowan can still growl incoherent lyrics while the band plays fast, tight reels about drinking, fighting and forgetting what you did the night before.

I mainly wanted to see Devotchka so I still had a good time, but come on Warfield, can we stick to 11:00 curfews on weekday shows?
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Bummer about the late night. I haven't been to the Warfield since it changed hands aside from that cameo at NYE. I do miss the old place...
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Devotschka's "This House is Haunted" is beautiful and very, very sad.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.