Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Treasure Island Music Fest (day 2) 10/18 @ Treasure Island
This is our first year attending the TI Fest.

We had to carefully time our departure so that the dogs would be left alone for the least amount of time. Fortunately all the bands I wanted to see were back-to-back before the headlining Flaming Lips.

4:00 - 4:45 Grizzly Bear
Our shuttle from S.F. dropped us off just as Grizzly Bear took the stage. We sauntered along the midway sipping Soju mojitos and eating gyros. The crowd was packed near the stage but the video screens were large and the sound was crystal clear.

I really like Grizzly Bear's folky/electronic melodies and they played a great set.

4:45 - 5:25 Bob Mould
Bob Mould seems like a really nice guy. His 3-piece band played loud and fast songs from Husker Du, Sugar and his solo albums. Some of the younger kids seemed startled by this 60 year old man screaming into the mosh pit but most of the hippy snowflakes just twirled with their ears bleeding.

5:30 - 620 Beirut
More folk-pop from multi-instrumentalists Beirut. Accordions, violins and tubas were just some of the items used to calm the crowd after Bob Mould's punk assault.

6:20 - 7:05 The Walkmen
Not a big fan. they sound kind of 'blah' and ordinary. I had a slice of pizza and more mojitos. We checked out the booths and olde-timey midway exhibit. Some performer hammered a butter knife into his nostril. Olde-timey stuff is disgusting.

7:10 - 8:10 Yo La Tengo
I had seen Yo La Tengo many years ago at the Trocadero Transfer in S.F.. Musically they are very adept and can do all kinds of styles. Tonight they chose to be all noise/experimental-jammy and bored us to tears. Time for another mojito.

8:10 - 9:00 The Decemberists
This was a treat. The Decemberists played their new record, a concept album called 'The Hazards of Love' in its entirety. The screen played an animated film that accompanied the music from start to finish. We both really enjoyed their performance.

9:00 - 10:35 The Flaming Lips
We were only able to stay for the first few songs. I'd seen them several times so wasn't too disapointed.

All in all we had fun for several hours and will go again next year if the lineup is good.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
soju mojitos? are those like sake margeritas?
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Annoyingly enough the only beer available was Heineken. Your only other choice of alcohol was from the Jinro soju booths. You could have it straight, as a Mojito or mixed with cranberry juice.

I liked it and will probably pick up a bottle in the future.

Soju is the #1 selling alcoholic beverage in Korea. It's gaining popularity in Asia and my guess is they are trying to generate interest in the U.S.

Too bad the weather was so cold. I really wanted an Irish Coffee.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
I know all about Soju, believe me. It's not as sickeningly sweet as sake can be. It's pretty good chilled straight out of the bottle, like a wine cooler. Dang. Remember wine coolers? I might even have some left over soju in the liquor cabinet.

I've actually never done the TI fest. I keep wanting to, but it's towards the end of the season and by then I'm too backed up or burnt out. My boss jr. went and had a great time. It just seems like such a hassle to get in and out of there. I don't like volunteering when I can't walk to my car and escape if need be. Maybe next year...

Mmmmmm Irish coffee.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Assuming there's a working bridge...

--tg