Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U2
U2 at the Rose Bowl

Should I buy my tickets now for the Anaheim show in June?

The Queen got me tickets to the concert for my birthday. She has now been to two rock concerts in her life and they have both been for the same band. For weeks, we had been getting dire reports on the evil that would be the drive to the Rose Bowl for the concert. 93000 people would be in attendance and the approach to the Rose Bowl is congested on the best of times. So, we took their advice and left for the concert on what is about a ten mile drive, three hours early. We arrived on the Brookside golf course and parking lot in a little over thirty minutes. As we looked at the scores of cars parked on the golf course fairways, we figured it would be a miserable time getting out.

You know I have a problem with cameras and my need to record, right? Well, it's a good thing we got there early. I made a pass with my camera bag and was immediately shot down by security. I then had to make the fifteen minute walk back to the car. I handed my Video camera to the Queen thinking it would be no problem getting that through. She caught up to me about halfway back to the car and handed me the video camera as well. On the way to the car, I decided to try and sneak the video camera through. I know. I have a problem. I should have been sneakier, I guess, because I had to make another walk back to the car to deposit the vid camera as well. I did get to set off my car alarm though as a man was trying to take a leak next the car.

The two walks back and forth to the care were a great time killer. I had just sat down next to a very relieved Queen when the house lights dimmed and the Black Eyed Peas took the stage. I was very dissapointed when I found out the Peas were going to be the opening act. Throughout the country, Muse or the Killers, bands I really enjoy, were opening. But for some reason, when they hit the west coast, it was time for the Peas. I was pleasantly surprised I didn't hate them as much as I should. They played loud and short and they had the best surprise guest. If you guessed, they opened the show with "Let's Get it Started", you win. They played Boom Boo Pow. Fergie did her solo single "Big Girls Don't Cry". Wil.i.am gave shout outs to Boyle Heights and East Los Angeles all night. But the best moment came at the end when Slash of Guns and Roses came out. Fergie and Slash did a great cover of "Sweet Child of Mine". The Queen was very concerned that I knew the lyrics to all the Black Eyed Peas songs. Osmosis is my only answer.

Oh, boy did the band Rock. The show actually opened with "Space Oddity" playing on the PA as we staired in awe at the Claw. It really is an impressive sit. The video screen did a great job of making the band come up close and personal. But when the video screen expanded, it didn't work as well. The one thing I did notice is that most of the songs from the new album which I thought were okay on the Album, simply rocked in concert. The remix of Boots was incredible and it gave Larry a chance to get out from behind the drum kit and wander the circular stage. Magnificent was magnificent. I always love to sing along with "Where the Streets have no name".

They did a tribute to Iran with Sunday Bloody Sunday which was great. They did a tribute to Aung as well, but I didn't think it came off as well as it should. It was kind of odd at the end. They seem to lose momentum. They left the stage for a message from Desmond Tutu and I think was wondering where the band went. They didn't really capture the fire when the returned.

For the encore, Bono came out in a jacket covered with lasers. And every so often when the fog would hit him just right, you'd get all these cool beautiful ruby lines extending from his body. It didn't happen as often as it should. He also had this circular microphone hanging from the claw to play with it. He hung on it and swung out towards the crowd. I think the new microphone screwed up the sound because the encore songs didn't sound near as good as the rest of the set. They also didn't have the drama of the opening songs. I also got the feeling Bono didn't want to sing With or Without you.

All in all, a great concert. I'd love to see them again without a million other friends. The staging is something to see and yes, I am ticked off I have no photos to show of the event. If I don't have snaps, did the event really happen?

One of the other cool audience participation things that both bands did was the hold your cell phones in the air while we dim the house lights. It looked really cool. I am simple yes.

So, we are back at the car in the middle of the golf course. We saw one car that had tried to take a short cut out and was trapped in a sand trap. Ha!. Serves them right for trying to sneak out early. It was an suv and it was balanced on the edge of the trap with it's front wheels suspended in space. Some of the cars around my car had already left, so I was able to at least move my car. Then, it was pretty clear to the exit. We left in no time. I think we got back home faster than it actually took to get to the venue. We were in bed by 12:30. Yeeha.

I'm serious about that Anaheim thing, if anybody wants to come down . . . .
Set List:
Breathe
Get on Your Boots
Magnificent
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Stuck In A Moment
No Line on the Horizon
Elevation
In A Little While
Unknown Caller
Until The End of the World
Unforgettable Fire
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy - Remix
Sunday Bloody Sunday
MLK
Walk On
One
Where The Streets Have No Name

Ultraviolet
With or Without You
Moment of Surrender
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Best part for me was the acoustic version of Stuck in a Moment. First verse in and I thought damn, I want a studio version of that on my iPod.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
if you only knew what i've smuggled into shows... Confusednakeman:
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
...U2 tix for the Oaksterdam show have been announced - June 16th, 2010. That's the Wednesday after TCKFMCII. Come for the tournament, stay for the show. ;-)
Doubtful but maybe. I hoped to have some sort of job that might preclude that.
Last I saw them was at the Shark Tank several years ago. A friend of mine had access to his company's box. We were there with a bunch of his friends from work. Also invited: The guy who was the 49er's mascot at the time and a friend of his who was the mascot for some other team (Sharky?). We all got really drunk and stuft with sushi and other goodies (seein' as how someone else was footing the bill). My strongest memory of the night was Mr. 49's Mascot getting everyone in the booth to stand up and wave their arms for Stuck in a Moment. I had a blast.

--tg
http://brotherhoodofdoom.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=7&t=78

U2 Joshua Tree Tour was my very first RM show.
U2360 @ Oracle 6/7/11

Biggest. Stage. Ever.

And it's magnificent.

Nearly 50 trucks, 4 days set-up, 150 feet in the air, just a monster stage. It's like standing next to Godzilla. There are 3 apparently, because set up takes so long so they have to leap frog. One is in repair, another in LA, the 3rd is coming down in Oaktown as I post. It's an amazing spectacle that offers a great view and outstanding sound from any angle. It's loud, so earplugs are recommended.

My first Rock Med show was Joshua Tree, right there in Oaktown, so it's always nostalgic. Caught the beginning half of the show, which had me captivated like a deer in the headlights, ready to be crushed by a semi-truck. During the second part, I fell in a hole: a walking-patients-to-car hole. I got stuck out in South lot helping some people, and then after load-out, I wound up helping two - TWO VETERAN RMers EVEN - find their cars (it had been a long day and we were parked differently than usual owing to those 50 trucks). I didn't get out of there until 1:30 or so. Still, it was the most gargantuan stadium show to date - state of the art - and totally inspiring.
Going to the concert was a lot like being in line for eight hours.

We decided on taking the train to Anaheim rather than driving in rush traffic on a Friday evening. The thought of the 5 on a Friday afternoon just gives me the chills. I also decided to take the special U2 train and get there a half an hour before the show started rather than take an earlier train that got us there an hour and a half early. Many many people had this same idea. There were only six vending machines dispensing these tickets. The lines when we got to Union Station were already long. We tried to find other avenues, like using the metrolink window (You'll have to use the vending machines), or even finding hidden vending machines. They were too well hidden. Kudos to Metrolink for putting an attendant at the machines to help the process along or Cindi and I would still be inline.

They were kind enough to delay the departure of the trains to make sure everybody got on the train. And everybody got on the train. The cars were packed. The noise in the confined spaces was ear shattering as everybody tried to speak to be heard over the noise. One woman sitting behind us had gotten on the train because it was most convenient for her but wasn't going to the concert.

I was amazed at how close the train stopped at Anaheim stadium. The email I received said the train depot was a ten minute walk from the stadium. Ha! It dropped us at the edge of the parking lot and was only a couple minute walk to the stadium.

Line number two for the night wrapped the stadium. As we walked up, we noticed a big line and were unsure what it's purpose was. I was hoping that it was something for special access. Not so much. The line was to get through one of only four security checkpoints used to gain entry into the park. Each entry only had four access points. Fun. As Cindi and I circled passed the gate, hoping for a somewhat shorter line, I notice that people were just coming at the line from the side. So, um, yeah we jumped the line. I am a bad person. But the line went fast. We made it through the checkpoint with barely a glance from security. My camera made it in okay.

So, once you are on the grounds but before you can get onto the fileld with your general admission ticket, another line awaited us. You need a wrist band to go field side. There were three people handing out the wrist bands in our area. The time was rapidly approaching when the concert would be starting. I think they delayed the start again because so many people were in line still outside the stadium.

We got our wrist bands and headed inside. We took up position to the left of the stage right near the leg of the Claw. Let the standing begin.

When I first heard that Lenny Kravitz was the opening act, I was less than excited. I was hoping for Muse or even No Doubt who were from Orange County and had opened for U2 before. But we had Lenny. was better than the Black Eyed Peas. He also didn't play a very long set which I appreciated. He played his hits like American Woman and Are you going to go my way, etc. But I spent most of the time waiting for U2.

The set was remarkably similar to the set the played at the Rose Bowl and even what they played in Oakland. It was all brilliantly performed and well staged. i don't think you could want for a better front man than Bono. He was in remarkably good voice. i think he sang better than he did at the Rose Bowl. They brought band manager Paul McGuiness out on stage to sing him happy birthday. This was the first time he had appeared on stage with the band. Gabrielle Giffords husband Mark appeared live on tape from the International Space Station to sing along with the band on Beautiful Day. They gave shout outs to Maria Shriver when they sang Pride.

When Bono introduced the band and gave out what if's about the band, the Edge got boos. Bono said the Edge would be a real estate agent. The Edge is not well loved in the Malibu area because he tried to build a million dollar housing estate on some protected land and there was chicanery about his bid. Bono said he would be a theater critic.

About two thirds of the way through the show, something weird happened to the sound and it sound very distorted and ugly and not on purpose. I noticed that Edge plugged in all his guitars for the rest of the show, but the sound never really recovered.

When they did the screen descend section of the show and filled the arena with smoke, I did think the Claw had become my new master and Overlord. It looked fantastic that close. Especially with the lasers circling off the top reflecting of the fog rolling in. I wish my pictures could have done it justice.

I was using the camera to get the set list by recording the first few seconds of each song, but I got the batteries dead notice about half way through. I think most people watched the show through the view port of their iPhones. The man in front of me was particularly bad. When he wasn't lifting his girlfriend to see, he was blocking my view with his camera.

We got two encores. The first rocked with One and With or Without you. The second was fine but they ended the show on a down note with "Moment of Surrender" A good song but a huge bombastic number to send us off to the train. Maybe that's on purpose. I was dissapointed not to here "Desire". Cindi would have liked to hear "I Still haven't found" C'est la vie.

We waited at the train for forty five minutes for it to depart. Which was okay, because when we left we could see cars still packed in the parking lot. For some reason the train took longer to get home than it did to get to Anaheim. And at no point during the trip to and from the concert did anyone look at our train passes.

Planning ahead, we should have seen this coming. The last line of the night. Ten thousand people got off the train and headed to the parking lot. At first we moved quickly but eventually we stopped moving. At one point, we actually went back down hill. We had driven from the third floor up to the second floor, but then the signs put us back down on three again. We stopped completely for at least ten minutes. Eventually, they just opened the gates and let us out without paying.

It was a great show, even with bad sound. The complexities about getting to the show make me not want to go again. Or pony up for the VIP treatment.

Even Better Than The Real Thing
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Mysterious Ways
Elevation
Until The End Of The World
All I Want Is You
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Beautiful Day
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Miss Sarajevo
Zooropa
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy / Discotheque
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Scarlet
Walk On
Encore
One
Where The Streets Have No Name
Encore 2
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
With Or Without You
Moment of Surrender
She asked me if I filmed the concert and then she asked me if I posted it.

[youtube]33aqZtJHsAg[/youtube]
you just have to experience it to get it. sorry your sound was poor. it was top quality everywhere for the oakland show. but then again, i was mostly on the field and in the first balcony. i didn't get up to the nosebleeds, nor into any of the inner circles while the show was going.
I could take pictures of the claw all day and every day. Twice on Sunday.

But then I've seen it in person. You don't get the linkage if you haven't.
I jumped on the response crew walk through early in the show, just as people were being let into the venue, so I got to walk all the moats before anyone came in and see it all up close. One of our people worked steel and gave described how it was all put together. It took about four days to get it up. There's 3 apparently - 2 leapfrog on the tour (you saw a different one than me) and the 3rd is in for repairs right now.

Simply put, the most amazing stage ever. It was a inspiration to behold, a tribute to the mighty mammoth dying art of stadium rock. The Claw gave me hope.
There is a buddhist prayer wheel T-Shirt of the claw. I might have to buy it . . . .

[Image: U2T51702.jpg]
because it's round?

:?: