Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Prisoner Returns Nov 15
Hey now.

I just re-watched the original Star Wars Holiday Special

When it comes to punishment, I am a glutton.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Hold on. Aren't you allergic to Glutton?
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Oh hell no. That's my wife. 

I luv me my glutton. I add extra glutton to my glutton to make it even more gluttonous.
In My Mind (2017)
A doc on the Prisoner.
A fanboy gets an interview with McGoohan, who was very elusive about speaking about the show. He gets some accessory interviews with writers, producers, his daughter. It catches his contentiousness. MCGoohan hated the end result and filmed his own doc, but it was lost - only some fragments are shown at the end. There’s some good BTS footage, and some clips of an old interview. The original doc was in shown on TV in 1984 - Six of One. So this is a doc about making a doc. It’s a bit of a homey concept, especially the documenter’s narration, but it does have some choice bits of history of the making and how much of isn’t was driven by McGoohan himself. He was a force - driven and stubborn - much like his characters.

No sword fights - lots of Prisoner clips but they don’t show that one. DOOM recommended 
Seen on Amazon Prime

Be seeing you.
I've been treating myself to The Prisoner on Amazon Prime every once in a while. It's still so good. I'm amazed at how well it has held up and how well I remember it. Like Star Trek TOS, each episode is burned in my mind and it makes me so happy to revisit them. 

Weird story - when I was in high school, I frequented this memorabilia store that sold posters, lobby cards and scripts. A friend of mine got the script to The Prisoner through it and he loaned it to me before I saw the show (remember this was prior to video so I had to wait for the rerun). I read all the episodes before I saw them. I had this image in my mind's eye of how it all went and when I finally saw the show, it was even better than I imagined.

I just watched 'Schizoid Man' which remains one of my fav episodes of all time for any show. It's so brilliant in so many ways. There's even a sword fight - a fencing match between #6 & #12. I know we've all seen it before, but the rewatch is highly DOOM recommended.
If you ever watch the remake, I’d be curious if your take on it.

—tg
I have it in my Netflix DVD queue. My expectations are low.
I'm over halfway through and it's still all working. McGoohan is so on point in every scene. The reel-to-reel tape driven computers are dated, but they add to the surreality of it all. 

It occurs to me that it would be really easy to cosplay as a Villager. Even #6 would be easy. I would just need to trim my black sports jacket with white tape. I have khakis and black deck shoes. Although it would be more fun to go as a specific character, or as #2. That would be simple as well. If only there were comic-cons.

I remember thinking as a teen that I'd like to make a pilgrimage to Portmeirion. If I'm really going to do that, I should make haste.
Cosplay as #2 is a little more flexible as there were so many. Did you know there is a band called “The New Number Two”. I presume it’s a prisoner reference and not about a defecation fad.

—tg
Have you heard them? Any good? What kind of music?
(12-29-2020, 12:08 AM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Have you heard them? Any good? What kind of music?

Not sure if this is representative or not:

Kinda alt-poppy
--tg
meh. 

If they're going to bother to sample lines from the show, they should make a song that includes thematic echoes of the show's soundtrack. The original music is excellent.
I'm nearing the end of the series. It's not many episodes as I'm sure you'll remember. 

The last few eps feel like the add ons. McGoohan originally planned less episodes but the studio insisted on more. I suspect it's these last ones that were the additions because they change the tone. They aren't set in the Village. 

'Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling' is the Face-Off brain switch episode where another actor plays #6 for almost the entire ep. It's full of logic holes but it does reveal #6's fiancee, Janet. Apparently McGoohan was away filming Ice Station Zebra for this ep, and this was a workaround. 

'Living in Harmony' is the western ep. It reminds me of Star Trek TOS 'Spectre of the Gun' (The Prisoner was first). Again, it is riddled with logic holes (like how is it that #6 missed this huge western town adjacent to the Village? And if someone is strangled, they won't have last words just before they die...) But it does introduce The Kid who is amazingly psycho. 

Still loving watching this again. It's so good. 

I'm also reading The Prisoner: A Day in the Life, a paperback novelization that I found in my pile of crap at my mom's house. It's not very good. 

Since we discontinued our Netflix DVD service, I won't get to that redux anytime soon, which is just as well because I gather it sux and I'm sure I'll be offended. But someday.

Be seeing you.
'The Girl Who Was Death' is another weird ep that takes place outside the village. It's funny, a satire of the spy-evading-traps trope. This and the two eps before are outliers, still entertaining but they feel like reaches. 

The finale is a two parter and that's next. I'm going to save that for later and do it in one go.
Finished. Those last two eps are so wonderfully surreal. They still hold up, despite the reel-to-reel tapes. McKern vs. McGoohan is so intense. And the music is spot on. 

Finished the book too. It was...well... http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=6057

I love that there's a sword fight in the penultimate episode. McGoohan can fence. McKern can not.

The last two eps elevate the entire series into art.