Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thai food
I love Thai food. I loved it before I went to Thailand. I loved it even more after going there.

The way to tell an authentic Thai restaurant is that they will have an altar to the king. That being said, Cali-fusion Thai can be good too, so authenticity isn't always key...

We actually have a decent place in walking distance called My Thai. Service there is horribly slow, but the food is good and they have a Wall of Flame - a hall of photos of people that consumed their 'fire' dish. The pic features DM, Mrs. DM, the DM's cub, CF, LCF and HO -a member here who doesn't have the balls to post, but did have the balls to finish a fire plate earning us all suburban fame. They food there is super hot. I can eat hot, but there I'm pretty conservative and order mild+.

The place motivating this thread is Benjarong in S.F. on Lombard & Webster. <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.benjarongsf.com">www.benjarongsf.com</a><!-- w -->. Loved their fresh ginger plate. Beautiful presentation, great flavors, not too expensive. Check it out.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Star of Siam is pretty good Thai in downtown Soquel. A few blocks away is another that I have yet to try. There's Thai Basil in the Capitola Village a few miles further. There's at least three others in Santa Cruz proper. I've been to several and don't recall anything outstanding. When you want Thai, any of them will do.

I often get the Tom Gar Kai when I think I'm getting sick. I haven't eaten at SOS in a while, but the staff is pleasant and the food is good. I ate at Thai Basil a long time ago and recall that I liked it, that the restaurant was tiny and that parking in Capitola Village was a drag.

Did you see there was a place called "Thai Stick" a block over from Victory Fencing? I presume it is a restaurant and not a medical marijuana outlet.

--tg
I remember that place from when I was living there 20+ years ago. I used to really like it. Good to hear it's still going.