Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DG2006 1.0
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Oahu & Kauai made for a great winter solstice. This morning I was driving to the airport in the misty morning along the Kauai beaches with the top down of our rental brand spanking new (I doubled the mileage from 400 to 800) fully-loaded mustang convertable in a t-shirt and I was hot. Now I'm freezing my ass.

I'm here to report two Oahu acquisitions perhaps worthy of a DOOM gathering. Unfortunately, being a family household, it's hard for me to invite you all over (besides I have a crappy little cheap TV and very limited seating, unless you like sitting on zafu) so the actual date and location would depend on someone with a more receptive household, assuming you're all into a video gathering sometime in Jan.

The acquisitions are:
1. Jackie Chan's The MYTH (includes 'making of' disc) on official Asian DVD release
http://brotherhoodofdoom.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=119
2. Tony Jaa's Tom Yum Goong on bootleg of official Asian release
http://brotherhoodofdoom.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=117
Of course, I'll check the quality of this ASAP - with New Year's it might be a bit before I can confirm it's rez.

I think Lori could join the party on these nicely, cranefly. She won't have to hide in back, except when we do our ritual pre-show dose of coffee enemas...err, or something like that. :weedman: She's welcome to gawk at that, but no more photos, please.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I'll start checking into a time that might work here at, uh-- I need to come up with a good name for this place.

Anyway, I'm in the process of acquiring a legal copy of Tony Jaa's latest crazy-kick fest. Yeah, I am so ... establishment.

I'm also buying a DVD titled, "Bottoms Up: The Big Buzz", which, on reflection, might have something to do with the alluded-to coffee enema ritual. Wow, this will be my first time!

--cranefly
I'm nobody's pony.
I have Tom Yum Goong also. I've only watched the first half. There are no subtitles, but the dialog is scant and half of it is in English anyway. What's to talk about? Boy finds elephant, boy loses elephant, boy serches for elephant and kicks boatloads of elephant-stealing ass.

I also have this:

Robo Vampire

Basically it's Robocop vs. Chinese Vampires as directed by Ed Wood on a budget of three-fitty.

So now it's just a matter of where and when...
I dig Tony Jaa's choreography. He's got some amazing moves. Who cares about the plot? That just gets in the way. Elephants. Might as well be penguins. Jaa's the hottest young choreographer going now.

The Myth isn't over the top in my mind, but neither was Shaolin Dolemite. I would really enjoy your reactions to this one though. It's ridiculous at points, but the Hong Kong made Chan movies are interesting to see for the difference between his US stuff. I'm still loyal to Jackie. The dude is 51 and can still bust moves. And there's nothing like Jackie's juggling nutty choreography.

BTW, I made it to Jackie's Kitchen in Honolulu - only one in the states but I hear there are some in Asia. The food was actually really good. There wasn't any cool mementos though - mostly shirts and glasses. And only a few DVDs were available. I lugged home a beer glass. It was fun.

Note: Been hearing good things about Dragon Squad - the new Sammo Hung - which just went to official DVD. Also Fearless, the next Jet Li, is coming very soon in Asia - not sure about hear yet.
Damn SoCalis stole our water and now they want to steal the first DOOM event of the year.

I now have the Myth (which is ok), SPL (which rocks), Legend of the Sacred Stone (which I've yet to watch) all on DVD. Anyone ready to host a BAY AREA DOOM gathering?
I'll start checking into possible spatio-temporal juxtapositions of doom entities.

--cranefly
I'm nobody's pony.
...to come to my place but:

1) There are only 3 chairs
2) The TV/VCR combination set is the size of a bowling bag, and
3) I'm never there.

I realize tht #3 is a pretty good selling point, but the fact that you will all have to take turns using a magnifying glass to watch what is going on might cramp your various idioms. On the other hand, scheduling is easy.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Okay, next weekend is out (2/25), but after that a Saturday might work at the cranefly residence. So I'm sending out feelers for the following Saturdays. Not that it has to be Saturday.

March 4
March 11
March 18
March 25

I'll admit to a vested interest. I took Greg's advice and cut the piss out of wood in the studio, trying to get the skylight shaft to look right. I was careful to ask each chunk whether it was a support beam before applying the chainsaw (A couple times I thought I heard, "Yes I am," but it had to be my imagination because I can't hear anything when the chainsaw is running). Anyway, the shaft is mostly there, swaying a bit in a breeze. But that's kinda artistic, don't you think?

Now it's time for Greg to bless my interpretation of the electrical code a la track light extravaganza without ground wire and only one rope for the trapeze.

Questions for Drunk Monk.
1) SPL? I should know what this stands for. Jog my memory, OK?
2) I presume Legend of the Sacred Stone is your sly reference to Sharon Stone's return in Basic Instinct II?
I'm nobody's pony.
of course, given the season, your cats will probably send me into anaphylactic shock.

spl is sha po lang - http://brotherhoodofdoom.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=195

legend of the sacred stone is kung fu puppets from taiwan. imagine stormriders meets thunderbirds. i've only watched the first few minutes and i'm beginning to doubt it's worth.

i just lent the myth out, but i'd rather show spl for doom.
The Longest Yard is out on DVD. I'm sure you'll enjoy that. It's quite the visual treat don't you know.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Lady Cranefly was just invited on a ski trip for the weekend of the 18th, which means I'll have the premises to myself.

And I just know that, if I spend the weekend alone, I'll give in to temptation and try out my new belt sander.

For the well-being of my scrotum, I think it would be a good idea if some of you showed up.

If you can't make it, that's okay. I went out and bought a heavy-duty stapler just in case.

--cranefly
I'm nobody's pony.
The 18th sounds good.

The 11th is visit-the-parents day so that's out for me.
The 18th is an advisory board meeting for Rock Med and the clinic is in a very dire situation. Our founder, Dr. David Smith, just resigned. It'll probably be a horribly depressing meeting and we'll may all have to get drunk afterwards. Which is to say I might show up in a terrible state, but that's not too extraordinary for the DM. I'll let you know...

What time?
How does 6:30 sound?
It can be pushed up or back to accommodate. Just throwing
it out for starters.
I'm nobody's pony.
I should be able to make it. There's a few outstanding factors, but things are looking good. I'll bring SPL, maybe the MYTH too, and lots of allergy meds, assuming all goes well. And in honor of brother Greg's attempt at a St. Pat's DOOM gathering, I'll bring something green (but that's not too extraordinary for the DM.)

Anyone else coming?