Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Victory Fencing
"I math eaten by lion for breakfast"?
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Now you're getting it.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Not so hard. I should run for Taoiseach.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Nice. Now how do you say that?

"Taoiseach".
Excellent!

6:00 am wake-up call courtesy of the San Mateo Sheriffs Office. They were calling on the behalf of a friend, the San Mateo County Fire Department. Someone decided that our recycle bin would make a great ashtray or it was those darn kids, but the short version is: Front of Victory is burned, new doors and front window needed (currently sporting the MDF "Post-Riot" look) and the insurance companies will now try to out duck each other responsibility-wise.

We got off light. Smoke damage to display garments, but the bagged gear should be fine. Almost no water in the door at all. Carpet is shot. Also, since the door and window frame were wood, it smells like a beach bonfire and not a chemical disaster.
Ouch.
Wishing you the best with the insurance tango.
I'm nobody's pony.
What is going on? Is one of you wearing the Brady Bunch Tiki idol?

That's taking the night drop a little too far, Greg.

Very bummed to hear this. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
The process of wrapping up the Millbrae chapter of Victory is in full swing. Shedding some tools (sent the drill-press and one of my bench grinders off to a new home, been basically giving away several swords to people who will give them good homes, etc.). Started moving some of the fixtures today. This is mostly about the lovely, lovely woodwork that G-Man did. I’ll be keeping two of the small benches and two of the upright cabinets for our reduced space in SF/Taraval (“Terrorville”). Found a home for the two long benches and the upright that used to be home to the TV. They drove off today to The Fencing Center in San Jose, who are thrilled to have them. Last day of business in Millbrae is Saturday, June 30th. We close for most of July to make the move, and then the next adventure begins in the Sunset District at Terrorville. Onward.
A sad time for DOOM. End of an era.

I was truly a wonderful space that you built & held there.
Handed in the keys today. After working long hours and no days off, I’m going to take a day tomorrow to go for a ride. It is kind of a “found day” as tomorrow (Tuesday) was the last day of the month, but we got done a day early.

10 years, 6 days/week. Weird. Also, I may never see the sun again. No reason for me to ever leave the Fog Belt now.

G-Man, half of your Work Bench of DOOM was appropriated by Borderlands Books for their basement work shop. Half of your benches went to The Fencing Center, the other half came with me up to the fog.

Since I had stored a lot of stuff up there, I got to go through and throw out materials of my previous life: Photos, letters, old lesson plans, etc.. I have found new homes for almost all of my swords. I’m the lightest I have ever been for material goods. Mixed feelings about it, though. I would love to have left something of a legacy to someone, but I have no kids, my brothers have no kids. Also, HaggisKillers work with the West Coast Fencing Archive has shown me that people mostly do not care about the roots of their sport. All the names on all the trophies that no one knows, lists of forgotten winners of forgotten tournaments. HK finds it fascinating, I find it sad. Better, I think, to start getting the historical stuff into younger hands that really like it.
You have us.  We'll inherit your swords.  Can't have too many swords, right?  (well, yes, yes we can - lawd, remember how we initially bonded - weapon of the week? good times, old friend).

Old trophies are only good for studio lobbies, but too bad I didn't know about those, because we're always looking to cannibalize old trophies for our TCEC Showcase Championship trophies.

It was a great run, Millbrae Victory.  Salute!
I have a gorgeous 'Indiana Jones' machete from DM, an unfinished (I think) practice wooden Katana/Kendo sword from LB and the crazy over-the-top fantasy sword from you. Do not throw anything cool away! I will find a home for it! Sorry this happened and please let me know if I can help in any way.
[Image: magpie13.gif]