Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Takashi Miike films
This one just got submitted to Cannes
[youtube]2XzaO-sf7uA[/youtube]
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
The sequel is far more hyper than the original. In the original, the lead starts in the mundane world and then enters the magical tokusatsu world. Z2 takes place in 2025 (filmed in 2010) and it starts deep in the tokusatsu world, in a dystopian future where Zebra Time is like The Purge, which really all comes out of the Red Hour in that original Star Trek episode The Return of the Archons. During Zebra Time, Zebra Police can kill anyone. There's a despotic tyrant who dresses like Alex in a Clockwork Orange (bowler and one false eyelash) and his daughter Zebra Queen, who is like a J-pop Lady Gaga. Her main role is to thrust her ample bosom into the camera as much as possible. Zebraman has amnesia and has to fight the same CGI aliens as the original, those green gelatinous mutant baby things. This one isn't as clever as the original. I remember it was shown at one of the DOOM gatherings, much to our enjoyment. Z2 lacks the suburban-nerd-turns-superhero element as it begins in the tokusatsu world. But it does have it's merits, that particular Miike style, which pops up in random kinky scenes (lots of spiked heel stomping, a hypo to the head, that sort of stuff). I enjoyed it but it got a little long-winded at the end (perhaps I was sleepy). There is a sword, a katana, and it is used in fights, but not against another sword. The most underused highlight are the Vengeful Zebra Mini-Skirt Police, which wiki says was made into a direct-to-dvd spin-off.
Quote:Kimutaku to star in Blade of the Immortal live-action film directed by Takashi Miike

Oona McGee
2 hours ago

[Image: 75.jpg?w=580&h=326]

When one of Japan’s most controversial directors teams up with one of its sexiest actors to make a film about the manga world’s most cursed samurai, the ripples of excitement that usually surround a live-action movie announcement turn into a veritable tidal wave.

The upcoming film adaptation of Hiroaki Samura’s manga Blade of the Immortal is set to be one of the most anticipated films of 2017. Until then, fans of the original manga series will have to wait to see what lies in store when 42-year-old boy band member and heart-throb actor Kimutaku takes on the role of a masterless samurai living in an immortal body.

Blade of the Immortal, known in Japan as Mugen no Junin (lit. The Inhabitabt of Infinity) is set in the middle of Japan’s Tokugawa Shogunate period (1603–1868) and follows the story of Manji, a cursed rōnin warrior on a mission to kill 1,000 evil men in order to regain his mortality. While the manga was adapted into a TV anime series in 2008, the upcoming live-action movie will be the first time real-life actors breathe life into the dark characters of the series.

[Image: 104.jpg?w=580&h=895]

Takuya Kimura, affectionately known throughout Japan as Kimutaku, is one of the country’s most well-known celebrities, and is not especially known for having a dark side. He’s been a member of boy band SMAP for 27 years, a leading man in dozens of TV dramas and the star of a number of movies. As far as period films go, this will be Kimutaku’s first since 2006’s Love and Honor, directed by Yōji Yamada.

[Image: 86.jpg?w=580&h=446]

Takashi Miike, on the other hand, is right at home when it comes to telling dark stories. While Miike’s Visitor Q is shocking for its bizarre storyline and disturbing, sexually twisted scenes, his 2001 movie adaptation of the manga Ichi the Killer was so gory that audiences at the Toronto International Film Festival received promotional barf bags to accompany the film. More recently, his instalment in the Masters of Horror television series was deemed so disturbing it was removed from the broadcast lineup.

Miike personally selected Kimutaku to star as Manji so it will be interesting to see what type of live-action film springs forth from the unlikely partnership. With Japan’s golden boy playing a cursed samurai under the guidance of Miike, the master of gore, this is one film we can’t wait to see!

Source: Comic Natalie
Top Image: Wallpapers Wide
Insert Images: Wikipedia, Manga Reader, Manga Reader (edited by RocketNews24)
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/10/05/kimutaku-to-star-in-blade-of-the-immortal-live-action-film-directed-by-takashi-miike/">http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/10/05/k ... shi-miike/</a><!-- m -->
If you have been in a band for 27 years can you really still call it a boy band?
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Is DOOM a boy band? Or a Miike film?
Damn but Miike is hard to keep up with.  I'm way behind on his new stuff.  I just saw this trailer - he's taking on a major anime franchise in live action next.

This looks so good it gave me a woody.  Now with subs.

I am a sad panda.  We just launched a sweepstakes for Blade of the Immortal, Miike's 100th film, which I really want to see, but they only supplied BRDs.  I can't watch BRDs.  

But that doesn't mean you can't - unless your name is on our staff like CF & LCF...which sucks because CF is probably the most into Miike after ED & me.  

Here's the sweeps - http://www.kungfumagazine.com/sweepstake...mortal.php.

I know, I know, none of you won the Dog shirt sweeps (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...1#pid27481)  KB, we never did receive your entry.  Greg, you just lost.  However, if either of you really want one of those, just shoot me an email with your shirt size and address and I'll hook you up.
Hah!  Just checked the library.  They have a copy, more copies on order, if I understand correctly.
I'll be out of town next week, so won't request it yet.  But just so you know, I won't need no steenking winning ticket in some sweepstake for this eye-gouge.

Unless the Horror Clown shuts down all libraries by the time I get back...
I'm nobody's pony.
I’m waiting for it to be rentable on iTunes.
I rented it on Amazon. It’s in my queue.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Yee-HAW! Now that was *sanguinous*!
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.