Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fort Wayne IN
The middle of last week, I'm trying to voice a novel. I'm putting out a free audiobook. It should be easy, and I'm so glad we're no longer in Daly City. Up there, we were on the landing/takeoff path of SF airport. We'd have to pause our conversations at regular intervals while an airliner went over. If we ventured out on the balcony, we'd be deafened by 280 traffic.

But now we're in Mountain View. Nice quiet, small-town Mountain View, in an area with 50-plus-year-old houses and little traffic or noise of any kind.

Or so I thought. Once I started miking, I discovered airlines going over. Not like Daly City, but enough to mess up the recording. Small planes, too, and occasional loud cars or trucks, and Caltrans whistles. Then there's that damned dirigible whose motor will linger for ten minutes. The mike recorder won't pause. You can only stop it, then start a new file -- which is a bother. So the accepted approach is to just wait out the noise, then resume speaking. But you end up with huge files that way. One hour equals one gigabyte. Yes, gigabyte.

So the planes, trains and automobiles give it a rest and I finally get going good -- until the phone rings. I expect Wells Fargo or the Mercury News. But there's a deep voice at the other end. It's my younger brother Greg. Dang, wish I had his voice. He asks if he's interrupting anything. I tell him no, no. I mean, he only calls about once a year. This is rare. Extremely rare. So he asks whether my foot is any better. Nope, it's not. I'll likely get it operated on next month and pay out of pocket, because our health insurance is crap. He asks if I've given any thought to coming back to Indiana to visit Mom. I tell him yeah, I'll get a ticket for January. He tells me how much Mom appreciates my visits. The holidays are very rough on her these days. Most of the family has gone Jehovah's Witness, which has gutted all our holiday gatherings (don't get me started on JW). Now it's just Greg and me. So I try to visit around the holidays, but not on the holidays, because it's such a pain with the schisms. Greg and his wife take my mom out to eat on Thanksgiving, Christmas, her birthday, etc., and hang out with her, which I'm glad of. And when I come back, he and I hang out together and usually do a couple beer-and-bad-movie nights -- only no subtitles. He refuses to watch movies with subtitles. So anyway, Greg and I talk a bit more on the phone and I agree to come home in January, then he says he won't hold me any longer and signs off.

I go back to miking, discovering a noisy flock of crows outside, how the house cracks loudly every few minutes (an artifact of the plywood we put on the roof), how Fudge chews loudly for fleas in her fur, and the occasional pings of a can of Turpenoid (used to clean oil brushes) near my desk as it expands and contracts in the heat.

It takes me the rest of the week to do four episodes (the recommended number before you even think of going live), and finally, at two this morning, I go to bed with the first episode posted on iTunes and on my website.

At 6:30 am the phone rings ominously. It's my mom. Her voice is breaking.

Greg just died.
I'm nobody's pony.
Good luck to you, Brother Cranefly.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Thinking of you and your mom.

-Cole
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Not to be too morbid, but what was the cause of death? Was it unexpected?
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Greg was in good health. He had a big dinner last Sunday (an early Christmas gettogether feast). Late that night he came down with flu-like symptoms. Equally not to get morbid, but he made several trips to the bathroom, and he got very weak. On one occasion he fell, mentioned afterwards that his left arm was hurting. His wife (who was sleeping in a different room) kept checking on him in bed. His TV was on, and he seemed to be dozing. She suspects he might have been gone for several hours before she realized something was majorly wrong.

The coroner's report: A massive heart attack.

Not certain whether the flu -- or just eating too many desserts -- upset his system and stressed his heart, or whether the heart was having a problem and caused the flu-like symptoms. But this was totally unexpected.

Air fares and flights are a nightmare right now, and there's an ice storm headed for the Fort Wayne area. My mom and sister want me to wait and come back in mid-January (Mom says she'll need me more after things quiet down). I did check into fares yesterday, found one on Christmas Day for $666 (no, I'm not making that up). But I didn't jump on it and now things have skyrocketed and not much is available. The funeral is the day after Christmas, and it looks like I'll miss it.

So I'll go back Jan. 14 through 28. It's going to be so different.

BTW, Greg had just filled out paperwork and would start collecting social security on Jan. 1. The men in our family have had rotten luck with retirement.
I'm nobody's pony.
Now my mom's sick with the flu or something.
Just got another ticket -- flying out Christmas Day, not certain when I'll be back.
I'm nobody's pony.
Travel safe. Stay out of the Ice Storm. We'll be thinking about you and hoping things improve on the family front.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
What a grim journey. Good luck, brother. My thoughts are with you.
I hope the worst is past. Be well, best wishes to your mom, and return safely.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Thank you all for your kind comments.
I head out in the morning.
Have a safe and festive holiday.
I'll endeavor to get family members and friends to do the same despite the very difficult circumstances.

And have a good breakdoomfast. Looks like I'll be missing this one.

--cranefly
I'm nobody's pony.
Hope to get a chance to meet you and Lady CF some day soon.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
cranefly - I've been staring at this thread, circling it. I keep coming back to it thinking I have something to say and I can't find the words. After mulling it for some time, I think I've figured it out...the thread begins with your narrative style that we've seen in so many great posts and then your post ends with this abrupt, shocking disclosure (more so than DM's derriere issues) which caught me off guard. My sister passed away 9 years ago. She was 39. It was just as abrupt. I got a call at work that something had happened and by the time I had left work, gathered the family and went up to see her in Half Moon Bay she had already passed. In fact, she went really quickly. Some sort of blood clot. She was probably already gone when I got the first phone call, I just didn't know it at the time. It took me a while to really get used to the fact that she's not around. We weren't too close. Mostly we'd see each other on holidays or birthdays. I was on her mailing list and I'd see her regular email blasts, but we didn't talk much directly, so the only real immediate change was I stopped getting her emails. It felt like she was off on some adventure or vacation more than anything else. (Maybe that was an easier way for me to deal with it.) What was hardest for me was to see how it affected my parents. Enough time has passed since then that everyone seems healed for the most part. I still think of things that would have thrilled her and feel sad that she missed them, like the LOTR movies, Where the Wild Things Are (she was a huge Sendak fan), and most recently Avatar...I think that would have blown her mind. I'm thinking good thoughts for you and your family and hope that time heals for you as well...

I'm too lazy to read actual books, but I just subscribed to your podcast and am looking forward to hearing the first chapter. I'm hoping I can pick out the jets flying over.

--tg
Yeah. Grief takes many forms. No doubt we've all dealt with it on many occasions and in various ways throughout our lives. And sorry for your loss, TG. And ED's dad, and others mentioned in the past.

It's strange, losing someone whose close but not a major part of your everyday life. Grief comes in little bursts, while the rest of the time you're living life as if nothing has changed. When you suddenly remember the loss, you feel guilty for having forgotten it. Then there are the moments when you keenly feel the loss, and realize how much life has changed -- not just for you but for others.

I would spend time with Greg just a couple times a year. But I'd hear a lot about him on a weekly basis when I talked to my mom on the phone. He was always up to something, always helping my mom out. He lived half a mile from her. Fortunately I have a sister living a mile from her, and she and her husband will be trying to help mom out more going forward. But it won't be easy. Greg did so much.

As a writer, I'm always running scenarios. What if this, what if that. It's a neurotic impulse, I suppose. I've considered losses in our family and how it would affect things. But I never considered Greg going first. None of us did. Certainly not like this. Very active, in good shape, the youngest in the family. Among other things, it makes you redo the math, recalculate how long you and others in the family are likely to live. It's another data point in an ancestral record with disturbing trends.

I'm still in Indiana, btw, can't get back to CA until Jan. 5 -- thanks to American Airlines' insane rigidity on bereavement flights. I need to get back home to take care of business, then I'll fly back out to Fort Wayne in mid-January for another two weeks. Things have gone very well while my older brother and I have been here. The hard part for Mom will be after we leave. That's why I think the mid-Jan trip will be the most important -- to see how she's doing. For Mom, the loss will be felt on a daily basis.

I haven't had much access to a computer until now (someone was staying in the computer room). I might write more from now on. And I might post something about Greg. Maybe it doesn't belong here, but then again, maybe it does. You're some of my closest and most trusted of friends.
I'm nobody's pony.
What could ever not belong here?