Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival-Golden Gate Park Oct 3-5
I'm going to Sigur Ros at the Greek on the 3rd, but I'm seriously thinking about staying up there and going to some of the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival

--tg

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/">http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/</a><!-- m -->

No idea who's playing on which day...the order of the list changes every time you refresh the page

SHARON LITTLE
ODETTA
RICHARD THOMPSON
THE JERRY DOUGLAS BAND
KEVIN WELCH & KIERAN KANE & FATS KAPLIN
EARL SCRUGGS
CYNDI HARVELL
POOR MAN'S WHISKEY
BAD LIVERS
ROBERT EARL KEEN
RIDERS IN THE SKY
THE DEL MCCOURY BAND
HEAVY TRASH
DARRELL SCOTT BAND
WACO BROTHERS
EMMYLOU HARRIS
HEIDI CLARE & ATAGALLOP
THE WAYBACKS
GREG BROWN
GOGOL BORDELLO
THE INFAMOUS STRINGDUSTERS
BAND JOE AND THE WHYTE LAYDIE
JOHN JORGENSON QUINTET
MARTY WILLSON-PIPER (OF THE CHURCH) & THE MOOD MAIDENS
FROM THE JAYHAWKS: MARK OLSON & GARY LOURIS
ROBERT PLANT AND ALISON KRAUSS FEATURING T BONE BURNETT
JOE PURDY
GUY CLARK & VERLON THOMPSON
TIFT MERRITT
IRON & WINE
MAURA O'CONNELL
JON LANGFORD'S SKULL ORCHARD FEATURING SALLY TIMMS AND THE BURLINGTON WELSH MALE CHORUS
THREE GIRLS & THEIR BUDDY
LOS CENZONTLES FEATURING SANTIAGO JIMENEZ
TEA LEAF GREEN
IRIS DEMENT
BEN KWELLER
RED WINE
ALISON BROWN QUARTET WITH JOE CRAVEN
THE DESERT ROSE BAND
STEVE EARLE & THE BLUEGRASS DUKES
RUBY JANE
THE OPERA DUKES
SONS & BROTHERS
MC HAMMER
ELVIS COSTELLO'S HIGH WHINES AND SPIRITS
RICKY SKAGGS & KENTUCKY THUNDER
NICK LOWE
GLOBAL DRUM PROJECT FEATURING MICKEY HART & ZAKIR HUSSAIN
CARLENE CARTER
THE WRONGLERS
LAURIE LEWIS & FRIENDS
MIKE FARRIS & THE ROSELAND RHYTHM REVUE
BILL KIRCHEN
PETER ROWAN BLUEGRASS BAND
DAVE ALVIN & THE GUILTY WOMEN
JERRY JEFF WALKER
RALPH STANLEY & THE CLINCH MOUNTAIN BOYS
HOT RIZE
BILL EVANS STRING SUMMIT WITH MEGAN LYNCH
MOONALICE
ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL
JIMMIE DALE GILMORE
DRY BRANCH FIRE SQUAD
HAZEL DICKENS
PEGI YOUNG
THE ROAN MOUNTAIN HILLTOPPERS
JUSTIN TOWNES EARLE
LOUDON WAINWRIGHT III
BONNIE PRINCE BILLY
THE GOURDS
SAMANTHA ROBICHAUD
Can't make it.

I have a strict no MC Hammer policy.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
i don't beleive tg really goes to shows. i think he just watched the vids on the net.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Hey, I go to shows, especially when they come to me. I just went to Camper van Beethoven at the Catalyst on Sat. Missed Cracker, tho. I had to leave...

--tg
If you'd been at that Camper show, there'd be a review on this forum. CvB? Really? Are they even still playing together? No, I think it's just another web vid you watched....
:ANAL:
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
CvB...yes, they still play from time to time. Most recent (besides the show that I really attend) was up at Fort Mason I think over the summer.

Tomorrow starts the 4th annual Camper/Cracker Campout at
Pappy and Harriet's Pioneertown Palace near Joshua Tree. Essentially any of the CvB family tree are possible performers: Monks of Doom, Eugene Chadbourne, etc...I'd go, but I'm trying to get ship a product next week and I'm buried at work. At the Catalyst show, I made a pact with some friends to go next year.

Here's a flickr photo set from a previous year: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/cwsteeds/sets/72157594402257305/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/cwsteeds/s ... 402257305/</a><!-- m -->

The Catalyst CvB show was good, but not as good as when I saw them there two years ago, right after their new album came out. That album/show was a concept album and they played a lot from it and introduced a lot of the material. It's a really good album if you haven't heard it. Anyway, this show they played mostly a lot of older material. I can't remember what they opened with. It might have been Pictures of Matchstick Men. A lot of their klezmer-ish instrumentals, one or two songs of New Roman Times (Long Plastic Hallway). Take the Skinheads Bowling. The Day that Lassie Went to the Moon. More fun, bouncy instrumentals. They would have been a great band to play at a party in your living room. They didn't play Life Is Grand, or She Divines Water, or The Ambiguity Song which are some of my favs.

I was bummed to have missed Cracker. I like a lot of their stuff too, and I've never seen them. Oh well...

-tg