Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They really know how to eat in China
Quote:Diners Eat at A Toilet-themed Restaurant
2008-06-30 20:24:55

A diner shows an ice cream dessert inside a miniature toilet bowl at a toilet-themed restaurant in Hangzhou in Zhejiang province June 29, 2008. The restaurant, which opened on June 1, features toilet seats as dining chairs and food served in miniature bathtubs and toilet bowls. Picture taken June 29, 2008.

[Image: 4634dine.jpg]
[Image: 4634dine1.jpg]
[Image: 4634dine2.jpg]
[Image: 4634dine3.jpg]
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Quote:French animal lovers launch Olympic protest over dog kill
Feb 18, 2008

PARIS, Feb 18, 2008 (AFP) — A French association of animal lovers on Monday launched a petition aimed at encouraging China to ban, by the Summer Olympics, the killing of dogs for food.

One Voice said the practice of preparing canines for the pot often involves slow and brutal methods in which the animal is beaten to death, boiled alive or hung up to bleed while still breathing.

"This trade is widespread in China, even in large cities, although in Beijing, the authorities are trying to push it outside the city ahead of the Olympics," said Muriel Arnal, president and founder of One Voice.

The association said it had researched the practice for six months and then sent a team out across China for more than three weeks with the help of Chinese associates, filming and photographing dogs being cruelly put to death.

Several years ago, the backstreet butchers' targets of choice were Saint Bernards, but now the favourite dogs for slaughter are German shepherds, it said.

Stolen pets, some of them still bearing collars, were also being killed, it said.

One Voice said its online petition, launched on websites in France and Britain, aimed at pushing China to pass laws banning the killing of dogs, in time for the August Olympics.

Hong Kong, which is a special region of China, and Taiwan, which China views as a renegade province, both have laws banning the consumption of dogs, One Voice noted.
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hcqb...0Ct5LxbuFQ
[Image: capt.cps.mni10.180208194957.photo00.phot...01x512.jpg]
It never fails to amaze me how quick Americans are to point fingers in disgust then casually place an order at KFC. Factory farming in the USA is not the warmest and fuzziest way to raise livestock.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Tasty, tasty murder...
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
...but do you walk the walk? DM thinks PPFY wouldn't last a week on a Chinese meat diet.

Speaking of KFC:
http://consumerist.com/consumer/disgusti...257607.php
Dude, I will admit that I am real squeamish about the eating of bugs, but I actually like minudo, tripe, blood-sausage, pancrei (pancreases?) etc.. The eating of mammals, birds, and reptiles is all good. Eating eyeballs would be very difficult. Have had the deep-fried duck's feet...

I'm sure that in a week's time I would be completely unmanned by some offerings, but I think I could handle more than 50% of what was offered.

Anywhere local you want to go to challenge my meat-fu?
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I confess, this was a 2nd intention post. I knew there'd be stories like this during the Olympics. Here's a rather mediocre taste.

Quote:Scorpions, lizards and silkworms...Yummy? Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:50 PM by Jen Brown
Filed Under: Beijing
From Jenna Wolfe, Weekend TODAY host

If you were making me dinner last week and you asked me if there was anything i don't eat, I’d have quickly said, "mayonnaise." Ask me that question today and I’d easily say scorpions, lizards, sea horses and silkworms. Yeah, I pulled a "when in Rome" this week while here in Beijing covering the Olympics, and embarked on my courageous journey to the Chinese night market (video), sight of all things delicious to the Chinese and, well, interesting to Americans. Walking through the market is one thing, sampling the goods is entirely different. It's not like I’m at Whole Foods tasting a new fruit spread. We’re talking real rodents here, a delicacy to the Chinese. And since I was doing a piece on these little critters, I sort of HAD to taste them.

So I did.

The good news is, I’m still here writing about it, which means I survived.

The bad news, I ate a whole scorpion, lizard, sea horse and silkworm. How did they taste? Honestly, they tasted like chicken, but what doesn't, right? More specifically, peanut crusted crispy salty chicken wing.

I found that if you put a hold on your fears for just a nanosecond, you can do almost anything. This was one of those moments. And if nothing else, at least it was a good source of protein!! So I ate it, and I lived. I have to be honest, even the local merchants were impressed. They probably love the look on the foreign faces when they set up shop each morning.

Now please don't think I did this alone. Jen Lin-Liu (right) graced us with her local knowledge as our resident tour guide for the afternoon, someone to wrap all of this insanity in a little perspective. She owns a culinary school here in Beijing, so if anyone knows about these gourmet treats, it’s her. She explained that the Chinese don't just run around and scarf down scorpions like peanuts. These are all delicacies for them, treats if you will. And the market, especially at night, is a popular hangout place. (A beer, a silkworm, and a date... not bad.) And they're not all that cheap. I paid about $10 US for a lizard. TEN DOLLARS!!!! But in so doing, I also took in a little history, and a little culture, and a little local flavor, and yes, sadly enough, a little stomach ache. But it was worth it, and for the right price, I’d do it again. Maybe. OK, probably not
http://allday.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008...?GT1=43001
So, G-Man and I went and over-ordered at one of the dozens of Chinese restaurants that inhabit my new neighborhood. We were the only gwailo in there (a good sign) and we had to point to our orders on the lavishly photo-filled menu due to the absolute lack of English on the part of our waitress.

Verdict: It was pretty darn good!

There was a lotta food on that table: G-Man had the sweet-and-sour spare-ribs and an order of potstickers (yup, plain old potstickers) and i had the crispy-fried eels and the small, meat-filled dumplings that are small, round, and pleated. The eels were great (like french-fries!). I'd eat there again.

Shanghai Dumpling House on Broadway in Millbrae - check it out!
[youtube]BdPdKKUbD9M[/youtube]
Quote:Chinese Eat Baby Soup for Sex
One Baby Policy Blamed for Killing Babies in China

Some of the Chinese people are known to be eating babies and the news circulated through the internet or via Email communication is shocking the world.

An Email report received by The Seoul Times confirmed that news with several vivid and appalling pictures of human embryos fetuses being made into a soup for human consumption.

The report went on. A town in the southern province of Canton (Guangdong) is now on trend taking baby herbal soup to increase overall health and stamina and the power of sexual performance in particular.

The cost in China currency approximately $ 4000 (it is about Rs2000).

A factory manager was interviewed and he testified that it is effective because he is a frequent customer.

It is a delicacy whereby expensive herbs are added to boil the baby with chicken meat for eight hours of boiling and steaming.

He pointed to his second wife next to him. She is 19 years old. The 62-year-old man testified that they have sex everyday.

After waiting for a couple of weeks he took this reporter to the restaurant when he was informed by restaurant manager that the spare rib soup (local code for baby soup) was now available.

This time it was a couple who have two daughters and this third one was confirmed to be a daughter again. So the couple aborted the baby which was five months old.

Those baby who is close to be born and die naturally costs 2000 in China currency. Those aborted ones cost a few hundreds in China currency.

Those couples who did not want to sell dead babies, placentas can be accepted also for couple of hundreds.

One local reporter was quoted as saying that this is the problem arising from Chinese taking too much attention in health or is the backfire effect when China introduced one child in a family policy.

This heinous crimes rise from the fact that majority of Chinese people prefer to have male babies and the poor families end up selling their female babies.

Dead babied can be purchased in Taiwan for 70 US dollars for being used as grilled delicacies.
click if you dare
http://theseoultimes.com/ST/?url=/ST/db/...p?idx=7333
Um. No. I'll just let this one slide by.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Renewable resource.
Asian Food Nastiness: Skinned Headless Frogs Still Moving!
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/vi...hD8t75ys6V
If you took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy, now would it?

How can you be sure Volta or Galvani aren't nearby zapping them with electricity?

--tg
Quote:Urine-soaked eggs a spring taste treat in China city
Thu, Mar 29 2012
By Royston Chan
DONGYANG, China | Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:40am EDT

(Reuters) - It's the end of a school day in the eastern Chinese city of Dongyang, and eager parents collect their children after a hectic day of primary school.

But that's just the start of busy times for dozens of egg vendors across the city, deep in coastal Zhejiang province, who ready themselves to cook up a unique springtime snack favored by local residents.

Basins and buckets of boys' urine are collected from primary school toilets. It is the key ingredient in "virgin boy eggs", a local tradition of soaking and cooking eggs in the urine of young boys, preferably below the age of 10.

There is no good explanation for why it has to be boys' urine, just that it has been so for centuries.

The scent of these eggs being cooked in pots of urine is unmistakable as people pass the many street vendors in Dongyang who sell it, claiming it has remarkable health properties.

"If you eat this, you will not get heat stroke. These eggs cooked in urine are fragrant," said Ge Yaohua, 51, who owns one of the more popular "virgin boy eggs" stalls.

"They are good for your health. Our family has them for every meal. In Dongyang, every family likes eating them."

It takes nearly an entire day to make these unique eggs, starting off by soaking and then boiling raw eggs in a pot of urine. After that, the shells of the hard-boiled eggs are cracked and they continue to simmer in urine for hours.

Vendors have to keep pouring urine into the pot and controlling the fire to keep the eggs from being overheated and overcooked.

Ge said he has been making the snack, popular due to its fresh and salty taste, for more than 20 years. Each egg goes for 1.50 yuan ($0.24), a little more than twice the price of the regular eggs he also sells.

Many Dongyang residents, young and old, said they believed in the tradition passed on by their ancestors that the eggs decrease body heat, promote better blood circulation and just generally reinvigorate the body.

"By eating these eggs, we will not have any pain in our waists, legs and joints. Also, you will have more energy when you work," said Li Yangzhen, 59, who bought 20 eggs from Ge.

The eggs are not bought only at street stalls. Local residents are also known to personally collect boys' urine from nearby schools to cook the delicacy in their homes.

The popularity of the treat has led the local government to list the "virgin boy eggs" as an intangible cultural heritage.

But not everyone is a fan. Chinese medical experts gave mixed reviews about the health benefits of the practice, with some warning about sanitary issues surrounding the use of urine to cook the eggs.

Some Dongyang residents also said they hated the eggs.

"We have this tradition in Dongyang that these eggs are good for our health and that it would help prevent things like getting a cold," said Wang Junxing, 38. "I don't believe in all this, so I do not eat them."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/2...EE20120329 There's a vid if you follow the link.