Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SF Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival
Elton was on Stacy & my 'see before they kick the bucket' list, so we all went this year. Elton was good, but we both imagined it would have been better to have seen him in his prime. So many classics. When he went into Daniel, I had a moment thinking about Brother Dan and his upcoming emigration to Alaska.

Oh and I can see Daniel waving goodbye

I'll have a full report later, perhaps after I finish my RotR2015 report, if I manage to do so before my memory fades. Until then, I must leave you with this:
[youtube]m1wkfJY3AZM[/youtube]
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I would have liked to see Elton again. I saw him while living in Austin but it was his 1980's 'post-costume' period and not really memorable.

My first Elton album was "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player" which had 'Daniel' and 'Crocodile Rock'. 'Daniel' for some reason stuck with me for life:

Daniel my brother, you are older than me
Do you still feel the pain, of the scars that won't heal?
Your eyes have died, but you see more than I
Daniel you're a star in the face of the sky

From then on I felt all songs should have lyrics like these. Anything else was fluff.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
I just ran my wallet and notebook through the wash. So stupid. my credit cards, cash, license, and various mm cards are drying in the sun. My notebook is unsalvageable, but I can glean my OSL notes from them, so I'm going to just skip to those now. I'll come back to RotR as there are more shenanigans there to report that had NO PLACE in my report (DOOM eyes only, doncha know).

So here's OSL. S&T were coming and despite all of the issues some vet vols have with the new RM admin, they always take care of me and set me up with a +2 even though I was only working Sunday. Unfortunately, APE decided that all staff had to pick up their wristbands at BGC in civic center, so all week I was stressing having to go to GGP at daybreak to score a parking spot, then work the whole family over to BGC, and then back to GGP. But it went well. We scored a perfect parking spot on Fulton as close as could be, hopped the muni 5, grabbed coffee and pastries at civic center before getting our wristbands, and then back on the muni 5 - bus passes were only $5.50 for all of us roundtrip. Stacy was saying that she was only there to see Elton and was regretted that she hadn't brought a book, much to the teen eye-rolling of Tara (and me). As it turned out, she was thoroughly entertained all day, and found plenty of delicious gluten free veg eats and some great music to delight her senses. OSL is still a great show. It's grown immensely over the two years I skipped, more stages, more fields, 100,000 patrons they say. Next year, I should spend the whole weekend there.

We got there just in time for the meeting and RM was there in full force, although most were really spent from the previous two days. It was overcast and cool, but not too wet and foggy like GGP can get. Actually it was very pleasant. One of our former JNK, who recently qi-vampired her way to the board of JAH Med, only to be defeated by a stronger qi-vampire there and forced into harikiri (she's now a person non gratis with JM) was sporting a white polo like a supervisor, but everyone was trying to ignore her because she's not a supe and wasn't even introduced at the meeting, kept trying to get me to do an in-service (srsly? on day 3?) and to wear a radio (I refused her but would have acquiesced if anyone of real authority asked - she manipulated some nooBs to ask me but I saw through that and denied them.) Anyway, they did a rather complex and weak in-service and I stood in the corner trying to let them just do their thing. They introduced me and I claimed not to know them (the only laugh from a clearly bored group of noob vols). Later, evil twin Dina said she overheard some of the nooBs pointing me out as the 'master in black' as if i was supposed to do some sort of magic trick. Mind you, there was acid IPRs, still in the wake of GD50 I reckon, but they were mild ones and no one but real JNK care about that. They all want the crazy nekkid X supermodel gal, and those are very rare.

I stationed myself at Hellman's, the annex, one of 5 RM stations but the only one besides main med that was a fully operational death star. It was a tight crew there and the 2nd stage was mobbed. Twas fun.

To start, at the small midway Panhandle stage, right next to Hellman's med, Alex Bleeker and the Freaks did a tribute to GD in honor of the anniversary of Jerry's passing. AND BILL KREUTZMANN sat in for two songs: Other one>St Stephen. It was awesome and got the day off to a rollicking start.

Next at Twin Peaks (the big stage near Hellman's) was Karl Denson, which had some wicked sax and flute. Very fun and jazzy. The was DJ Mustard, who brought a massive crowd that really got into him. I thought he sucked. He just dropped hooks off various tunes, mostly hip hop, many even I recognized, and kept swearing between each change. Dang. I could do that. Totally silly but the crowd dug it. Everyone was worried about Hellman's because the rest of the acts were EDM and that has this drug stigma now, which isn't totally unwarranted but often overblown. Odesca was next and they were really more acid jazz to my ear, with real live drummers, the kind of music that would be great listening while driving across the desert or riding walkways in the airport. RM did get swamped then but only because Hellman's was understaffed and the crowd was so ginormous. I mostly worked the gate then, which was very fun and busy. Next was Caribou and I actually had some IPR patients, but they were all super mellow so no magic tricks. It was acid, good ol' acid, and they were all oriented, just a little dazed and confused. One dude thought he was having a heart attack. Turned out he worked a night shift, then came straight to OSL and dropped. We gave him some PO ativan and he came down quite nicely. Caribou was a decent soundtrack for some IPR talk-throughs.

Then I escaped Hellman's. Things got mellow so I totally abandoned them and to catch up to my family. They were enjoying Sam Smith (T's pick of the show) and I scurried to meet them at Slightly Stoopid (a reggae band that I dislike). But on the way, I saw my pic of the show, beyond Billy of course - Mac Sabbath. It's a masked band like Kiss, Residents or Gwar and you know how I love those. They cover Black Sabbath but they dress up like bad acid trip versions of McDonald's characters. I posted the vid above. By the time I got to Stoopid my family moved on to Elton. I listened to half a song of Stoopid's just to reaffirm my dislike of them.

Got to Elton, found my family in the crowd and it was very enjoyable. Elton is a stunning pianist of course, and every song is a classic that the whole crowd sings along with - he was the main reason we came because neither Stacy or I had seen him before so he was on our mutual see-before-he-kicks-the-bucket list. He must have been really amazing in his prime. I had a serious moment when he went into Daniel, thinking about our dear brother Legbone and his move to Alaska. After that, I left to tie up any loose ends with Rock Med as there were several dangling things that needed my attention (one of my friends pulled a knife on another vol, another friend went all luchador and threatened a patron with a folding chair- wacky, right?). Elton wouldn't give me another moment that would be more soulful personally than his rendition of Daniel.

We left as soon as it was over. Skipped packing up. Just took off for home. And actually got back to the bungalow by 11.
... at the Bridge School benefit in 1992. He didn't play acoustic (electric piano, solo) and I found much of it a bit too bombastic. It probably would have worked better with a band. He was wearing a 49ers jacket and matching shorts with high athletic socks. That was a really weak year for the Bridge School - Sammy Hagar?!

I see on Wikipedia (had to look up what year he played since I couldn't remember) that he was there again in 2010.
the hands that guide me are invisible
The timing of bridge seldom works for me.
Tara & I both wanted to see Lorde again. It was a bit of a trial to get her registered with Rock Med because she's now of age and needed to recert her cpr for health providers. Then there was parking at osl, getting our wristbands at bgc, and getting back to ggp. But like 2 years ago, we scored great parking because we were early, took the muni 5, and got there and back again in time for the meeting.

It was a long lovely foggy day. We were prepared for the fog and revelling in it. I argue the sound is better in fog because water carries sound better than air. And it was wonderful at night for the lights.

Reviews to come.
So, Bands should play under water?

Were you rebelling or reveling?
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Autocorect is funny on my iPhone. It was actually Castle Highland where I discovered the fog phenomena. I researched it a bit (remember I taught sensation & perception at UCSC) and it is so, water carries sound waves better, only our ears aren't evolved for it so fog is optimal.

Epic rap battles of history: they were live in the Barbary tent, where I've never really bothered to go in before. Quite funny and did lots of improv, plus some favs if you know their webshow. Yoda vs Spock, Steve jobs vs Bill gates, Einstein vs. Hawking, the Joker vs. Rick (from Rick & Morty). They were the surprise hit for us.

Maggie Rogers: young songstress discovered by Pharrell and recommended by Tara's bf. Cute but didn't move me. Everyone else really liked her.

I was assigned to the Twin Peaks stage because that had the most EDM, but they gave me a radio so we followed our whimsy. I had a peanut tofu nachos, which was okay but needed more cheese to qualify as nachos. We were going to get veggie corn dogs but they sold out. Tara liked the new caramel m&ms.

Sofi Tucker: we watched a bit but she left no impression on me.

Louis the child: EDM - I was kinda into it until Tara pointed out that he was just dropping old beats and spoiled it for me.

Lorde: Caught the whole set. So good. She's matured at 20 to more diverse topics albeit a much more pop sound. I was disappointed at her new album Mellow drama, but now should give it another listen. She felt authentic and seemed to really enjoy being there. Tara and I really enjoyed her set. She is who we came for and we were very satisfied. Tara got a Lorde shirt even though it was rather expensive.

Schoolboy Q: a classic hip hop sound. We got busy at RM when they hit stage, which is one of my barometers for a decent act, but I didn't really tune in because I was busy RMing. Still, it seemed like a good soundtrack at the time.

Above & Beyond: solid EDM with great visuals and some fun bass drops. I'd see them again if it was convenient.

The Who: only caught a little because I was assigned to TP, but they had an IPR so the called me back to Polo. They were classic, of course, but I didn't have time to immerse, only sing along a little. Won't get fooled again. Yeah right, look at our prez. Dammit.

The TP manager insisted I do an in-service at the end of the show to some small gals, which was a tad moot and superfluous but I like to keep him happy. Besides I got Tara to assist, which was fun. Then the ipr was at the end of the show - poorly timed drugs. He was oriented x4 just antsy. I know I could enjoy talked him down but rm already had the needle loaded. They wanted a kill that night as it had been generally slow. I was too tired to protest, but it bugs me now because he really wasn't that high. There were just too many hungry emts and I was the only psych so it wasn't worth the investment. A bummer but rm seemed happy to have me endorse to roll. Whatev.

We got out of there really efficiently because we left my car in perfect position. We were back at the bungalow by 11:30. It was exhausting because it was so much walking, but Tara and I had a wonderful time, just us, partaking in all the fun we could find there.
In da house!

Or on the field. Whatev. 

Had to park, take the Fulton to bgc to get my wristband and bus back.

A lot of talk about our vol who shot himself - he’s an MD at Stanford, the son of a dear friend. We’re all shocked.

Here comes the Sun just played, signaling that doors are open.
Now that I've learned Blink 182 is playing Outside Lands, my interest has piqued.

Yeah I hope to check that out.

They gave me a radio and told me to roam. But another vol failed to show so that stationed me in table service... in grasslands.

I hope I can wriggle free for grateful shred which starts soon.

Another old tyme vol told me my date to my senior prom asked after me pitbull at sla. We fell out of touch years ago but apparently her mom remembers me fondly and asks after me a lot - her mom has dementia.

I’ve been abadoned at my grasslands post because the field team had to go potty. There’s no supplies here so I’m in an empty pop up but I have a chair and can see and hear the lands end stage. Taylor Bennett - a mediocre jazzy rapper so far:
Some house band. Marijuanas greatest hit done very pop. 

Grasslands is kinda ridiculous. Consumption areas, dispensaries, free postcards (sent mine to work), high end display booths (one built a full greenhouse). 

Don’t think I’m gonna mek Grateful Shred. The vol stationed here isn’t taking her sweet time.
Missed Grateful shred.

Cheeselands was a big disappointment. Just one booth like soberlands, not really a land. $20 3 cheese plates. Why did they get a map icon when Hellman medical did not. 

I have a 1.5” scratch on the back of my left hand. I know I didn’t have that this morning.

Sun came out. Had a lovely bowl of $10 chowder, staff lunch (veggie burger, undressed sale and 2 forks). Plus Cheetos. 

A lot of lands are rearranged. That was just lap #1.
Don't fall asleep having such a great time.

So woozy caused a cute gal to feint so they live up to their name

Leapard orints are in

I was planning to be in grasslands for 4:20 but got stuck at sutro stage. I’m going to move on as soon as there’s back up for the vol here (a dear old friend).

Still woozy not so

Masego now - meh-sego