Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SF Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival
[youtube]dddAi8FF3F4[/youtube]
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
9/11. Easy date to remember. If I could get in, you know I would. If I could get you in Greg, I'd do so after I got myself in. If only, Greg, if only. That would be a great night.

I did try to get CF into last Saturday's fight, but it was too last minute to come together. Sadly, the fight didn't start until after midnight, so I could have actually made it. Jenna texted me the next morning. Here are two of those texts:
"There were more girls in bikinis & heels than at Dayton beach on spring break!"
"Should I tell you how the playbunnies texted me after wanting to hang out?"

Ironically, she was envious that I got to see Temper Trap & Phoenix.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO GET ME A PRESS PASS!!!! Plus, think how much that story would be for Scapino? But seriously.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
right now, i'm posting on the doom forum. that should help.
You know you want me to be there.

It's like you are not even trying.
Year 4. It's still a helluva lot of fun. I just did yesterday, as Phish was headlining and that required my special attention. I'm skipping the rest of the weekend due to other commitments, which will mostly play out on this subforum.

Mercury in Retrograde is harshin my buzz....

I'll have more details on OSL later, assuming I remember them.
S's car lock was messed up so her car went into the shop, leaving dm to figure a ride up to OSL. Posted a plea on facebook and go showered with responses, including a ride up with an ol' deadhead vol, who dm didn't really know, a friend of a close friend, a nurse who rocked a utliikilt at GAIA. The kilted nurse lives on a boat in emeryville, so there was a pleasant morning on board, then off to OSL

OSL is fantastic - a truly SF event - Sf peeps looking hot, fresh and clean, basking in the fog, great food and music. There was a new trippy area this year, choco land, filled with burning man/tribal sculptures in the woods, evil clowns and candy stores. dm didn't even engage all the activities - there was so much. There was a secret RM tent next to lindly stage, and dm hung out there for a spell. A friend working set up pulled dm into the backstage area and poured him a beer, which dm slammed, feeling somewhat guilty as the supe of that side tent watched from the other side, waggling her finger. Caught Collie Budz on the main stage - mediocre bahamain reggae, but fun to hear reggae on the main. DM has been nursing the shaolin heel bruise, and that was a bother as his feet were hurtin early and osl is a lot of walking. Caught Foster the People from the LIndley tent and they were good - nice to see a young band on the rise. They had the biggest crowd dm saw of the day. Didn't really know who they were until they went into that pumped up kicks song. They have potential for more growth - quite a crowd pleaser.

There was a major restraint during phish - dm was on the other side of osl when the call came and had to dart to the main to find 3 cops standing on the ipr, but they were cool w/dm and instantly let dm replace their cuffs with his softs - he was backboarded and brought to main where RM brought him back thru talk and 2 cocktails.

DM managed to hitch a ride home with a fellow vol. Tempted to go back today, but there are too many chores to do at home and at this point, probably no parking nearby. No, today, dm is up to the Greek for Adele, which should be mellow. Dm likes mellow.
Dm got up at the crack of dawn to get parking for OSL and wound up trolling for it for 1/2 an hour until he found a street cleaning section that was just about to expire, which he swooped in on like a hungry vulture. OSL sold out three days - 70K each - it was packed. Dm got to wristband pickup super early and wound up hanging out with about a dozen other RMers, including a nooB who dm totally impressed at gaia extolling his extensive knowledge of rastafarianism, kicking her her 1st lammy (the glowing JNK one, which she discovered glowed later and was duly impressed) and then kicking her a lanyard. "You are my God" she said, to which dm said, "why yes, yes I am". BTW, the wristbands, in true big bro fashion, were chipped, so they could 'monitor traffic flow' but dm quickly figured out how to get around the checkpoints, just to mess up the system. Dm gave a great inservice right after the meeting, biggest one he's done in a while - easily 3 dozen nooBs who were totally impressed as dm turned it on in full and left them wanting more "you gotta do more of those" to which dm said "sure sure, whatev." Sadly dm did get saddled with a radio, what's worse was that it had an earpiece which meant he had to listen to it all show and have a plugged ear, but then dm didn't have to do much, just a few minor calls, so it was cool. It took a long time to hook up with S, T and T's friend. On the street waiting, dm ran into two of T's classmates and a dad friend who didn't know wtf was going on and were planning a bike ride in GGP. In full radio RM officialdom, dm explained that they would never find parking and added greatly to the rep of dm amongst T's classmates - dm had the 'coolest dad' award after the drug talk. For the most part, dm spent the day hanging with S,T and friend, taking them on walkabout, watching the entire set of Of Monsters and Men (T likes this band). They were good, even with an accordian. S enjoyed herself at winelands as dm took the girls up to chocoland for cookies and a parade. It was great fun. The girls got free facepainting - good pro work, some ad thing for some web thing - which delighted them. There was this new soundsystem on the main stage that everyone was raving about, but dm thought was too loud and tinny. Beck was high energy, as always, but sounded awful. Foo Fighters also sounded poor. Then Neil & crazy horse threw down an oppressive set, befitting of the fog. Neil knows how to play into distortion. After a climactic space jam of sonic depth charges, neil went solo acoustic for needle and the damage done, and dm and S marvelled at his artistry. it was brutally foggy in that coldest-winter-was-a-sumer-in-sf way so Neil's set was just abusive (dm was heartily amused by a crew of nooBs who were all excited to do overnite coverage guarding the tents "we're gonna party!" yea, right, enjoy that case of cold beer y'all brought...)

Still, 'twas a good show, although overpacked.
Quote:9/10/12

How do you rate, getting to party in the future?
Just to keep you up-to-date, there's not a lot going on back here in the present.
But I suppose you already know that.
Grrr.
I'm nobody's pony.
Dm has always had a problem with his temporal locality.
...searching for Valerie Perrine...
Die Antwoord was at OSL. I hope you at least heard him. Them?
Seen 'em before and they were the same time as Of Monsters and Men.
You would think this years review of OSL would already be up. How did McCartney do? Or do you only do concerts now that are within walking distance of your domicile?

They were giving away tickets on my local station along with a trip to SF.
I spent the day in the warm sun on the beach.