Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best pizza?
actually i have no idea what the best pizza is now. i live here in freakmont. there's no 'best' pizza here. i have fond memories of north beach pizza but truth be told, i haven't had one of those for years. i just wanted to dominate the lower forums. it's been a long time since i bothered to dominate the forums, so i thought i'd start small, with the lower ones.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I've had pizza everywhere including the glynch's beloved Jake's and Pizzeria Regina, but I still gotta stick with genuine Chicago pizza. Lou Malnati's or Gino's, preferrably. Especially for breakfast the day after.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
I can't say what the best is. I have fond recollections of Giovanni's Pizzaria in Berkeley, but that was circa 1970 and my awareness of pizza wasn't so great at the time. Although I still remember that crust...

The worst pizza I ever ate was in a shopping mall in Milford, CT. Dont' remember the name of the restaurant, but we asked for a vegetarian pizza. They looked at us funny and I swear that opened a can of veggies and dumped it on the pizza. I think there was baby corn cobs on there!

--tg
Can't disagree with Chicago at top of the chart. Here's my hot list:

Best:
1. Chicago (in Chicago or surrounding vicinity)
2. JJ's (Capitola, CA. Long gone.)
3. Paisano's (Castro Valley, CA. Multiple World Champ pizza throwers place.)

Worst:
1. Dublin, Ireland (Don't. Just Don't.)
2. Pickwick Bowl, Burbank, CA (Frozen pizza gone awry.)
3. Hiroshima, Japan (Let me re-iterate the point made by TG: Corn is no-go for Pizza.)
What do you mean Irish pizza sucks? Nevermind. They used to have a chain called Pizzaland. Probably brought to you by the same people who brought you Burgerland, where I worked in my youth. Pizzaland, I think, was a retail distributor for cardboard. There is one place in Limerick where you can get passable pizza called Papa Ginos. But you're in Ireland why the heck are you eating Pizza. It's oxtail soup and Guiness!

San Jose: Jakes and House of Pizza. I think I've almost recovered from House of Pizza.
Berkeley: Blondies
Santa Barbara: Perry's
Los Angeles: Still Looking.
Boston: Pretty much anywhere, but my father goes to the Pizza Regina.
New York: See Boston
Chicago: I thank the HK for Giordano's and frozen Lou Malnati's isn't bad.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
I'm a huge fan of Zachary's in Berkeley. Deep-dish nirvana.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
I'm not allowed to vote; I used to get the pizza in Germany that had the fried egg on it. Jonio's in Heidenheim! Best damn pizza with an egg on it EVER! They had one with tuna fish on it, too.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
i ask for the best and you give me fried egg and tuna pizza?

hmm, actually that sounds kinda good...
I rarely eat pizza, but I do like Amici's downtown. And Willow Street has a couple of good ones. Also Pizza Antica at Santana Row does a good thin crust - particularly the one with pancetta and brocolli.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I'm a purist when it comes to pizza. IMHO, broccoli has no business anywhere even remotely in the neigbhorhood of pizza!!! Pizza is for clogging your tubes and arteries, not for cleaning them out! Eek
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
I think the broccoli (cut small and not too much) is offset by the pancetta, so the net result is still negative. I usually have it with the chopped salad, which contains salami, so I'm getting plenty of artery clogging.
the hands that guide me are invisible
If it wasn't for Broccoli, there would have been no James Bond movies. Plus it goes well on tuna and egg pizzas.
Good Chicago style pizza for S.F.
http://www.patxispizza.com/
Ohhh, there's one in Palo. Gotta check that out.
+1 for Amici's. No tuna or fried eggs, though, but good anyway.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Pizza is as diverse as music. There should be categories.

Best Neighborhood Pizza Joint:

1 - North Beach Pizza (North Beach, S.F.)

2 - Pizza and Pipes (Cupertino, CA) (OK - The pizza is terrible but the pipes are fucking awesome!)

Best Delivered Pizza:

1 - Four Star Pizza (Oakland)

2 - Pizza Love (Oakland)

I've subjected DOOM to both with no complaints.

The pizza we had at CF's was pretty tasty too.

Best wood-burning oven pizza:

1 - Front Room Pizza (Clement Ave, S.F.)

Best By-The-Slice Pizza

1 - Fat Slice (Berkeley)

2 - Blondie's (Berkeley and Conciord)

3 - Extreme Pizza (Fillmore Ave, S.F.)

Pizza in Austin, TX was not very good.

I have yet to have any pizza in Europe that did not make me think of cardboard.
[Image: magpie13.gif]